2020: THE YEAR OF CHANGE

Pandemic

I miss studying in class

I miss my motivated self

I miss socializing 

I miss dining outside

But mainly, I just miss going outside and I believe you do too. 

Due to lockdowns in most countries, people who run their own businesses are facing income drops, big families in rural areas that depend on daily income will not be able to support the whole family for a long time. Students who are taking their final exams this year will be affected.

We cannot allow the COVID-19 pandemic to serve as a vehicle for racism and discrimination since we have seen episodes of discrimination against people, especially from China and Asian countries. This can have an impact on their mental health. Even preteens and teenagers have experienced racism on social media platforms. They will then start to feel depressed due to the racism faced by them, because they felt isolated, hated, not accepted in their own society ,or even worthless.

The year 2020 has made us realize things that we wouldn’t have realize especially during quarantine. What if 2020 was the year we all NEEDED? A year so uncomfortable, so painful, so scary, so raw that it finally forced us to grow.

Gen Z, the generation that is capable of literally anything. The world-changers, they say. Aren’t you tired of doing the same routine every single day during quarantine? Aren’t you afraid of what the future holds? I gave a good thought about that throughout the whole year. Mental breakdowns, when you realize your grades are dropping. Procrastination. The toxic attitude. We get stressed about not being as productive as we used to be but spends the whole day scrolling through Tiktok. We’re insecure, we’re immature and the future we’re not sure. A crazy year isn’t it?

Social life? Well, to be honest, I personally think that during tough times like this is a perfect time to see the ones who stay, leave, and even enter into our life. Believe me, starting from the age of 16, you’ll slowly see people around you to part ways even the close ones. In a blink of an eye, y’all just turn into strangers with memories as what I like to call that type of bond, “Familiar strangers”.

Personally, without 2020, I wouldn’t have realize issues that are happening around the world. It has also led me to an avenue for me to grow and learn. It made me realize that no matter how big your circle is, in the end, you’ll have to face everything alone.

Apart from that, there were also beautiful events that have occurred in my life and I’m truly grateful for whatever that has happened throughout the year because without it I’d still be that naïve kid that I used to be. Thank you 2020 for the lessons and experience. Thank you for the happiest year of my life.

Based on the net, “Almost 500,000 Malaysians depressed while nearly 500 suicide attempts this year”, you’re probably reading this in 2021 right now. Thank you for staying, the world would be different without you in it, I hope you like the future.

Malaysia