From Change To Happiness

A graphic is ways to improve your personal growth

How do you define "growth"? What does that word mean? What do you grow into? These questions are my guide posts during my personal development. But that certain topic is connected to something deeper than change itself. It is rooted in a much bigger question, one that should define the whole process of our growth and our lives' paths: What is happiness to you?

Growth is not a simple process, not just a straight line leading from A to B. It is what kind of human being we become - how we see ourselves and what we bring in to the world. And we change constantly - whether it is our style, our surroundings, our character or our community. But why? Because we need to? Who is the judge of that? The truth is that we make changes in our lives, because we are simply searching for happiness. That is what everybody wants, isn't it? This is our lives' purpose. We want to grow into something new, we want to break free from the way we live currently. Because deep down we feel that this change might bring us one step closer to our true happiness. It can be leaving to find a better environment to start your career or making friends with other people, because you want to escape the community we are currently in.

But how exactly do you grow? Is there a certain point in your life where you know you have done everything? As a said, this process is more than just change. In the end, we want to please ourselves, be happy that we became the person we are and we have the life we lead. That is what we are searching for - enjoyment, sense of achievement, peace of mind. Is that easy to accomplish? No. There will always be doubt, questions whether you are making the right choices or not. And escaping from your comfort zone into something unknown is difficult and frightening. But we have to ask ourselves whether we really want it, what will that change bring into our lives. And what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Each rough patch makes us tougher, wiser and braver. After that, obstacles become easier to handle.

Growth is often times uncomfortable, messy and unexpected, but it is necessary. It brings us to a better version of ourselves. But more importantly, it brings us to peace, comfort and development. Yes, change is scary. But it also opens new doors for us and creates the path that will lead us to true happiness.

Change is not a bolt of lightning that arrives with a zap. It is a bridge built brick by brick, every day, with sweat and humility and slips. It is hard work, and slow work, but it can be thrilling to watch it take shape.
- Sarah Hepola