Leoshina Kariha is the first Youth Advocate appointed by UNICEF Papua New Guinea

18-year-old Leoshina Kariha has been announced as UNICEF's first Youth Advocate in Papua New Guinea.

Exciting news! UNICEF in Papua New Guinea has appointed their first ever Youth Advocate.

And she's none other than 18-year-old Leoshina Kariha, the current Miss Papua New Guinea and Miss Pacific Islands.

Leoshina joins a group of young ambassadors and advocates from across the world who are helping UNICEF raise awareness and inspire action for children's rights.

"UNICEF stands for the rights and wellbeing of children, youth and women. These are our groups of the population whose voices are not heard enough and more needs to be done with them and for them.

They need to be involved in discussions that affect them, because they may be able to see how they themselves can contribute ideas and innovative ways of doing things to help themselves"

- Leoshina Kariha

As a Youth Advocate for UNICEF PNG, Leoshina is one of two young people who will represent the youth of Papua New Guinea at the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Youth Forum in New York in April. Under the theme of Empowered, Included and Equal, Leoshina will join youth from around the world to contribute to discussions on issues central to their livelihoods, empowerment, wellbeing and economic and social rights.

Congratulations from the entire VOY community Leoshina! We look forward to hearing more about your work in the coming months. 

News
Papua New Guinea