The good old radio

A shelf with lots of old radio sets displayed on it.

When I am relaxing, I like to listen to the radio the most. As I listen to music, I sing along and dream that one day my voice will be heard on the radio too.

I am a member of the orchestra of the Association of the Blind of Montenegro and I often perform with them in different cities. I also play the accordion and participate in various recital competitions along with students from regular schools, always achieving noteworthy results.

As I dream of having my singing skills heard on the radio one day, special feelings arise in me.

For me, radio shows have always been an invigorating and joyful experience. I especially enjoy those shows in which listeners have a chance to go on the air and voice their opinions and comments. Who says traditional media are not interactive?

A hand holding a mobile phone with a radio app.
Today it is possible to listen to the radio on your mobile phone.
I disagree with those who are talking about the extinction of the old media. I will always listen to the radio. Perhaps it will not be through the same device – today, for example, I can listen to it via mobile phone, laptop or computer... But it’s still the same good old radio.

If I was running a radio show I would particularly address the issue of violence against children. I know that shows on this topic would garner a lot of attention from listeners. The concept would be to let listeners go on the air and share their opinions and comments. I would be very happy to exchange my views with them. Perhaps our radio conversations would help reduce the number of children growing up with experiences of violence.

A recent survey conducted by UNICEF and AEM has shown that every fifth child in Montenegro listens to the radio every day. I am among these, and I disagree with those who are talking about the extinction of the old media. I will always listen to the radio. Perhaps it will not be through the same device – today, for example, I can listen to it via mobile phone, laptop or computer... But it’s still the same good old radio.

Do you listen to the radio where you're from?

Ranko Magovčević is a 16-year-old student from Podgorica, Montenegro. Ranko plays the accordion, sings in the orchestra of the Association of the Blind of Montenegro and has won numerous awards in recital competitions throughout the country. He is a member of UNICEF Volunteers – Young Reporters.

Montenegro