Personal growth

Are you a content creator? Save the date for UNICEF's first Youth Mediathon!

In the wake of COVID-1​9, young people just like you feel they are no longer in control of their futures. From disrupted schooling, to increased anxiety, to the challenges of finding their first job and standing up for racial justice, they are uncertain about their next steps in life.

But what if you could tell leaders what you wanted to see change, and help other young people understand and take action? That’s what the UNICEF Youth Mediathon is all about – to help young content creators like you reimagine a better world!

Save the date and join us on October 23 and 24!

Voices of Youth

ABOUT THE MEDIATHON

Youth mediathon logo

The UNICEF Youth Mediathon is a two-day online event (October 23 and 24) that will give you the opportunity to improve your skills as a content creator and develop content about the issues affecting young people today.

During our first session (Oct 23), you will be able to watch a series of masterclasses hosted by top professionals in leading creative firms, like Instagram, Vidcon, Wikimedia Foundation, Red Media Africa and Vayner Media.

100 lucky applicants will also win the chance to participate in our second session (Oct 24) and:

• Meet and learn storytelling skills from top content creators 
  • Receive mentorship from experienced professionals in creative fields
  • Connect with other creatives
  • Have your work published on Voices of Youth and other global platforms

These young creators, joining from around the world, will work in online groups to execute one project per team – be it a podcast, a video series on social media, a suite of blogs, a comic strip, or a photo essay. Each team will work with a mentor under one of the proposed themes:

• Reimagining the Future of Work and Education 
  • Reimagining a More Sustainable World
  • Reimagining the Future of Wellbeing
  • Reimagining an Future Without Discrimination

The Voices of Youth team is currently selecting a group of 100 young creators from the nearly 4,000 that applied to our first Youth Mediathon! We are looking for participants aged 16-24 with pre-existing experience in content creation, fluency in English or Spanish and an internet connection (as all of the sessions will be conducted remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic).

JOIN

Girl in a wheelchair with a microphone

The application process to be part of the Youth Mediathon sessions with our mentors is now closed. If you are one of the finalists, you will receive a confirmation email to the address you used to submit your application, including more information about your participation in the Youth Mediathon and next steps. 

However, you can still be a part of our Youth Mediathon!

Join our skills-building event in our Voices of Youth Facebook Page on October 23, where you will be able to learn about digital storytelling from top professionals. A series of video lessons will also remain available for you to watch and learn at any time in our Facebook Page, our IGTV channel and on this page. Stay tuned!  

You can also put those new skills into practice and create content for your own social media channels, or even share it with us through our Voices of Youth platform. Please read this page on how to join our community and submit your content. Don't forget to read our quality and engagement guidelines before you start creating your content. 

FAQ

Animated GIF of a girl with a laptop
  • When will you announce the final participants of the group sessions for the Youth Mediathon? 

If you are one of the finalists, you will receive a confirmation email to the address you used to submit your application, including more information about your participation in the Youth Mediathon and next steps. We will send the confirmation emails on Sept 30-Oct 1. Please check your spam folder too. 

Due to the high number of submissions, we can’t send an email or provide personal feedback to everyone who applied, but even if you don’t receive a confirmation email you will still be able to be part of the Mediathon by joining our masterclasses and sharing your content with us (see below). 

• I was not selected as a finalist for the Youth Mediathon. Is there any way I can still be part of it? 

Of course! There are several ways in which you can be a part of the Youth Mediathon and other UNICEF opportunities for young people.

Join our live event in our Voices of Youth Facebook Page on October 23, where you will be able to learn new digital storytelling skills from top professionals. A series of video lessons will also remain available for you to watch and learn at any time in our Facebook Page, IGTV channel and website. Stay tuned!  

You can put those new skills into practice and create content for your own social media channels, or even share it with us through our Voices of Youth platform. Please read this page on how to join our community and submit your content. Don't forget to read our quality and engagement guidelines before you start creating your content. 

Our Youth Mediathon is only one of the many opportunities in which you can engage with UNICEF and other young people. You can become a U-Reporter and be part of a global platform to change the lives of young people. More information, here

• Will there be other editions of the Youth Mediathon? 

We will keep you posted if there are future editions! In the meantime, follow us on Instagram and Twitter, as we will be announcing new and exciting projects soon! 

Voices of Youth mediathon illustration
Topic