#YouthforChange: Getting ready for the Girl Summit 2014

TAKE ACTION:

Read the #YouthForChange Action Statement and Research Report

Read the resources

Did you know that one girl in nine marries before she turns 15?

Child marriage ends a girl’s education, exposes her to life-threatening complications during pregnancy and childbirth, and leaves her vulnerable to domestic violence.

Did you know that morethan 125 million girls and women alive today have suffered some form offemale genital mutilation and cutting(FGM/C) in the 29 countries where the practice is concentrated?

FGM/C is an extremely damaging practice that has a devastating, life-long impact on girls’ and women’s physical and mental health and well-being and opportunities, and can even cause death.

So what’s being done about it?

In December 2012, a UN General Assembly resolution called for a global ban on the practice of FGM/C. More and more women and men in communities in affected countries, religious leaders, and national policy makers are driving movement on these issues.

There is now a real chance to end FGM/C and child marriage within a generation.

To give these issues the boost they need and to mobilize efforts to end FGM/C and child marriage, the UK Prime Minister and UNICEF will co-host the Girl Summit 2014 on 22 July 2014 in London.

And to ensure that the voices of young people are heard on these issues, there will also be a special youth event ahead of the Girl Summit, on 19 July. At this event, young people will help to finalize a Youth Action Statement, which will be shared with ministers and leaders from across the globe at the Girl Summit.

How can I get involved?

• We want the Youth Action Statement to represent the views of as many youth as possible – so take this survey and share your voice.
  • Would you like to hold your own voices of youth focus group session with young people who have no internet access? If so please use this resource pack to help guide your session and this form to submit results.
  • Get empowered – read the resources and articles in this special feature.
  • Get writing – write a post on Voices of Youth telling others how you feel about the issues of FGM/C and child marriage.
  • Share what you’ve learned with your friends on social media. Follow the hashtags #youthforchange and #girlsummit

This featured section and the materials and resources included are produced in association with DFID and Plan International.

Condition of Child Marriage in Nepal

A report entitled ‘Ending Child marriage – progress and prospects’ which was released by UNICEF during the ongoing first ever Girl Summit in London, highlighted that Nepal has the ninth highest prevalence of child marriage in the world with one in every three child brides living in the...

If I was at the Girl Summit

If I was at the Girl Summit these would be my suggestions: I would suggest that countries who wish to end FGM and Child Marriage that they work in partnership with other countries in offering solutions. For example the battle of child marriage being in some cases, girls are married because...

#YouthForChange: Action Statement & Report

Read the #YouthForChange Action Statement and Research Report. Over the past few weeks Voices...

We Just Don't Talk About It

This article was written in observance of Girl Summit 2014. Information about FGM, its harms and j...

Empowered communities, collective choices

Every delivery of The Somali mother has been agonizing: the third ended in miscarriage and subsequen...

It’s your wedding day. They said it would be one of the happiest day...

My name is Habon, I am a 17 year old youth advocate. I have been campaigning in Bristol about Fema...

Ending FGM - "Young People need to be involved on a policy level and a...

We had the pleasure of talking to Leyla Hussain, the co-founder of the charity Daughters of Eve. Daughters of Eve works to protect young girls and women who are at risk of female genital mutilation (FGM). She is also the Chief Executive of Hawa's Haven, a collective of Somali women campaig...

"'It is not enough to tell people that FGM is illegal,' says FGM...

Source: http://www.girleffect.org/news/2014/02/zero-tolerance-to-fgm-2014/

5 Ways Young People Can Help End FGM

When we hear about organizations working towards a change for the better, we think that we cannot do anything to help because we lack the money, time, resources, or power to do anything significant. However, I have realized that simply being aware of these issues and being able to communicat...

Youth will be proud of the role they played in ending child and early...

Hello, my name is Cherifa and I am a young Muslim from the western part of Cameroon. I am a youth volunteer with the Cameroon National Association for Family Welfare (CAMNAFAW). I will be representing CAMNAFAW when I come to London to be part of the #YouthForChange panel. Young people re...

Not ready to say “I do” in India

Hi, Im Vedika, I’m 19 and I am representing The Family Planning Association of India (FPAI) on t...