Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow

Gifty Pamela Afun

Medical and health organizations are calling climate change a “health emergency.” Scientists are warning that climate change is a ‘‘key driver of extinction’’. And the United Nations is naming climate change as a “major threat to human rights.” Climate Change is a big threat globally, if action is not taken it could become a likely cause of further pandemics. Humans increased use of fossil fuel and carbon emissions are the highest contributing factors to the crisis and these climate related issues will only create a desert of our world; they will affect weather patterns, increase ill health,  affect access to  education and cause drought.

Solar Taxi is an E-mobility company geared towards providing clean transportation with zero emissions using renewable energy to ensure a safe environment. As a maintenance engineer enthused towards green technology, I am serving a workplace  that aims to reduce air pollution by accelerating the transition to electric vehicles (EVs) and making electric transport the new normal.

Ensuring more girls participate in science disciplines is a way to strengthen climate technologies. We have an all-female engineering workshop where women work together in assembling/maintaining electric bikes and scooters over a short period of time. I have facilitated the training of 15 ladies through our Female Engineering Academy (FEA) which is is geared towards bringing more women and girls into the STEM field.

Girls growing up should be taught to venture into STEM fields, take up leadership roles and engage in socioeconomic issues. Research suggests that much of women’s work in conservation is not paid, and that there are untapped avenues for promoting women’s economic participation while involved in resource conservation and energy, and in which women are often already engaged.

BIO: My name is Gifty Pamela Afun. I studied Electrical/Electronic Engineering at the Regional Maritime University-Ghana. I am currently working with Solar Taxi as an Electrical and Maintenance Engineer.