Worth

Published no picture sophiejchadwick

no picture sophiejchadwick

It was Mental Health Awareness week (woo!) recently so I thought I’d talk a tiny bit about that. I think it’s great because it brings what usually is kept in the shadows out into the limelight. The thing about mental health is that deterioration can happen slowly, your life getting more and more grey each day, or suddenly appear, generally without realisation of what is going on until it’s a bit too late. It gets progressively worse, some days you’ll have good days, som...

You Can End Poverty - As One

Published no picture Transform Reform

no picture Transform Reform
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/13249878_1759623247617170_852977958_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI1NTI0NTkwNTc4ODQyODM4NA%3D%3D.2

Imagine a world where we support the cause of poverty as a community - together. Maybe we can't win over everyone but a million people around the world is justified. Donating 3 pounds on one day - a world poverty day - we could generate 3 million pounds. The marketing pressure of that large amount of money would be watched to have to make change. Engaging peoples' curiosity to see the news and hype about the event. News reports asking why 3 million pounds can't bring meaningful...

Equality

Published no picture Tanusree Sen , Software Engineer

no picture Software Engineer
Tanusree Sen

Women Empowerment, equality, Peace Drive, etc. These words and quotes seem very common to our ears since ages; especially in the recent past. It seems like the current trend or the “Vogue” is discussing: Sexual Violence, women empowerment, gender equality and what not. The rabble-rousing speech by UN Women Goodwill ambassador, Emma Watson shook the very foundation of our thoughts and beliefs with regards to the current proceedings and issues of discussion. Her "HE for She"...

Youth or Experience?

Published Avatar Christos Metaxas , District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament

Avatar District Secretary at Cyprus Children's Parliament
Christos Metaxas

Wouldn’t it be great to combine a youthful body with the wisdom of age? We usually see this unrealistic idea being the subject of comedies, partially because a serious look would be sunk by the global community as a crazy prospective. Still, everyone seems to wish for that comedy to become their life every time they say “Youth is wasted on the young”. My short response to that belief would be “no”. Youth is exactly where it needs to be and the same stands for age. Youth...

Your Patronus Charm

Published no picture Maya kaddah

no picture Maya kaddah

Have you read the Harry potter book series? No? Yes? Anyway, the Patronus Charm is a spell mentioned in the magic books of the genius J.K Rowling, that in order for the spell to be cast one must muster the happiest memory (the happier the memory the better the charm works), the main use of this spell is to drive off certain dark creatures. But why do you need to know all of that? Every life has its ups and downs, times of weakness, we live in a crazy world full of wars, injus...

Everything's Changing

Published Avatar Andri P. , High School Student/ Member of Cyprus Children's Parliament

Avatar High School Student/ Member of Cyprus Children's Parliament
Andri P.

“I try to stay awake and remember my name But everybody’s changing and I don’t feel the same” Change. Remember the word? The word that everyone always told you is ‘good’. Is change good? Is change avoidable? You can always try. Try avoiding change... You lock yourself up in a plastic ball. You live there, breathe there, eat there... You do everything you can to avoid change. But, then, your friend outside your plastic ball changes... Your efforts die in va...

From Refugees to Social Entrepreneurs

Published no picture SocialInnovationAcademy , Facilitator

no picture Facilitator
SocialInnovationAcademy

Uganda is home to diverse wildlife and spectacular national parks. On the shore of a lake, where once hippos and giraffes used to drink from, sits now a refugee camp, home to 70,000 people. Nakivale is now a dusty environment with high poverty. Because of instabilities, frequent coups overthrowing governments in the region of Eastern Africa, victims and perpetrators often live side by side in Nakivale and create immense tension. Patrick Muvunga and his younger brother Raphael Muv...

Is art really useless?

Published no picture salah , Procrastinator

no picture Procrastinator
salah

It's been a long time now but the argument that art is useless, and has no effect on or value in society, still prevails and is passed down through generations and different cultures. Particularly in mine, being an Asian, setting art as a goal on which to build my future is a challenging aspect to discuss amongst the family. Art, in my culture, is regarded merely as a leisurely activity and is almost never given any importance or thought. While this might be a strong argume...

A Woman's Right to Choose

Published no picture Azra H , student

no picture student
Azra H

A Woman's Right to Choose - told from the view of a pelvis If every bone has a story to tell, mine is one of choice; or freedom and slavery, of crimes gone unreported and babies born unto this world. I am the support the backbone leans upon, the balance of the ribs, and the gatekeeper of life. It is in my power who shall pass and who shall not; who may begin their life and who is yet too young. There are escapees, of course, in some women more than others, but there shall always...

VOY across the world