Environment

Climate Action in the time of COVID-19

During the outbreak of the coronavirus, the global community has shown how it can take action in a time of crisis. Everyone has a role to play, and when we work together, even small actions can help overcome big challenges.  

While many schools around the world are closed, children and young people are still making their voices heard through the #ClimateStrikeOnline, and the youth climate movement is showing solidarity with their older relatives by staying inside to help keep everyone safe.

There are many ways that you can show your support for climate action during this time. For example: 

• Post an image online of your march sign with the hashtag #ClimateStrikeOnline (Here's a digital strike toolkit from Fridays For Future)

• Hang the sign out your window (carefully).

• Host a live on social media with other young activists (you can also join this one with scientists and young activists from Fridays For Future during Earth Day)

• Learn something new about climate change online. Education is one of the most valuable resources to become effective agents of change in the climate crisis.

• Talk to your parents and grandparents about climate change.

• Help others understand the urgency of climate action. If you have younger siblings or relatives, you can download and use this lesson, that will get them talking with family members about the environmental changes they’ve noticed happening in their communities and work together to create a positive climate action. 

If you have other ideas, scroll down this page to learn how you can share them with Voices of Youth... and the world! In the meantime, you can read these blogs to learn how some young climate activists are adapting and adjusting to this new situation.

CLIMATE ACTIVISTS

Vanessa Nakate and other young climate activists meet in a zoom call to discuss climate action

"It is time to unite behind the science and save lives" by Vanessa Nakate, 23, Uganda

Vanessa Nakate is a climate activist and founder of Youth for Future Africa and the Rise Up Movement in Uganda, supporting projects like the installation of solar systems in schools. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, she has taken her climate action online, hosting video calls with other climate activists and using social media to raise awareness of the need of listening to science.

Read her article here

Penelope Lea, climate activist, in a panel discussion during the High-level Event on Climate Change and Children Rights, part of the 2019 UN Climate Change Conference (COP 25) in Madrid, Spain.
Penelope, speaking in a panel discussion during the COP 25 in Madrid, in 2019.

"We can change our ways in order to take care of each other" by Penelope Lea, 15, Norway

Penelope is the first climate and environmental activist ever elected as a UNICEF Norway Ambassador. Her goal is to empower children to speak out on the topic of climate change as one of the most important causes for their futures. She shared these thoughts on the importance of taking care of each other in the time of COVID-19.

Read more here

Kherann Yao

"The time for the green ideas" by Kherann Yao, 26, Côte d'Ivoire

Kherann Yao is a UNICEF Youth Advocate, student from Côte d'Ivoire. He's the founder of Association Environnementale/Green-Ivory, a group of young activists that works to protect, preserve and enhance the environment in Côte d'Ivoire. He also works closely with children and before the COVID-19 outbreak he used to organize awareness-raising workshops in primary schools.  

Read his article here

Word Anxiety written in Scrabble letters

"From anxiety to agency: how to step up, rather than shut down, in the face of crisis" by Clover Hogan, 20, Australia

Clover Hogan, a 20-year-old climate activist a researcher on eco-anxiety, explains how the threat of climate collapse is a source of fear, anxiety, uncertainty, and powerlessness for many young people - yet in recent weeks, COVID-19 is amplifying these dark emotions. But she thinks we must discard the belief that we’re powerless, and realise that we’re infinitely powerful. 

Read her article here

Climate Justice Sign, climate strike

"Why the Climate conversation must continue" by We The Planet

Even though the world has come to a standstill, youth activists around the world continue to champion the cause of a better future, a better planet. The authors of this blog, activists from the We The Planet movement, warn that the arrival of the pandemic did not mean the cessation of human rights violations, war conflicts, persecutions and the effects of climate change. 

Read their article here

YOUR TURN

Download or take a screenshot of this Climate Action card and share it on your Instagram Stories, Whatsapp Status and any other social media where you can inform and inspire your friends and family to take action too:

Climate action card

YOUR VOICE

Participate in Our Survey

What Climate Action are you taking?  

Choices
Topic