Are you looking to sharpen your advocacy & storytelling skills?

Voices of Youth is all about blogging, filming, interviewing, storytelling and being a changemaker...Below you can find some easy-to-use tools that can help to sharpen your multimedia, communication and advocacy skills.

Engaged and heard! Guidelines on Adolescent Participation and Civic Engagement

Spaces to form opinions!

Channels to voice them!

Audiences to listen!

Influence on decisions!

That’s what it takes for participation to be meaningful!

Learn more in the new “ENGAGED AND HEARD! Guidelines on Adolescent Participation and Civic Engagement.” 

These Guidelines are intended to support the design of meaningful and equitable Adolescent Participation and Civic Engagement. They provide information on the ‘why’, ‘what’ and ‘how-to’ of adolescent participation and civic engagement.

The main sections include guidance on: Conceptual understanding, Main strategies and key interventions , Organizational commitment and processes, and Monitoring and evaluation. The appendices provide sector-specific guidelines for adolescent participation in: Health, WASH, Nutrition and HIV; Education; Child protection, care and justice; Disaster risk reduction, climate change and environmental protection; and Peacebuilding and humanitarian response.

Resource Type
Advocacy

A digital ideas platform to support child-focused SDG

The Global Development Commons (GDC) is a an open-access digital platform that aims to crowdsource evidence and innovations from young people in support of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.

The inspiration behind the platform is to create a space for cross-sectorial discussion and problem-solving driven by young people themselves. It is publicly accessible for anyone to contribute and to use it! Governments, policy makers, programme specialists, frontline workers as well as to students, professors and researchers are highly encouraged to look to this platform for creative and innovative solutions to improving the conditions and communities for young people.

Watch the official launch video, featuring global advocates including UNICEF’s Executive Director Henrietta Fore and our global GDC youth champions, to learn more about the platform. Help spread the awareness of this platform by sharing it with your youth networks, colleagues and any interested parties – and remember to use it yourself as well!”

You can also join its first ever global youth webinar on Tuesday, November 17. More information and RSVP here: https://unicef.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2IHfLz7iTLGjDYnlfhMCEw 

Resource Type
Advocacy

Adolescent Kit for Expression and Innovation

While schools and other institutions are planning phased openings soon, disruptions are likely to continue for some time to come, emphasizing the need for remote learning and expression opportunities for adolescents.

Providing adolescents with such opportunities to build healthy and positive relationships with their peers, friends and family members is an important priority for adolescents’ mental health during lockdowns.  

Check this package of activities that can be self-administered to promote psychosocial wellbeing and learn new skills in times of stress and while staying at home. The target group of the resource package is adolescents aged 10-19 years. 

Resource Type
Advocacy

Child Friendly Cities - Child and Youth Manifesto

UNICEF/Wogram

Photo credit: UNICEF/Wogram

What would child-friendly cities look like, if children were mayors? Check this Child and Youth Manifesto, a document that reflects the words and expressions of the children and young people, to find out.  

The Child Friendly Cities Initiative (CFCI) Child and Youth Advisory Board, consisting of almost 70 children and young people from around the world, shared this Manifesto and their recommendations with mayors and local leaders at a Summit in the German city of Cologne on 18 October 2019.

Read the manifesto here (pdf)

También disponible en español 

What would your city look like if you were the mayor? Share your thoughts or using the hashtag #VoicesOfYouth on social media.

Resource Type
Advocacy