Hello, World!

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

to walk through a city is to cut it into parts: like a wound or a landscape the city opens, then like a scab or a room it closes. Short Walks by Vincenz Serrano Hi, I am Mariel Annarose Nicole Alonzo, 19 years old and the youngest of five children, thus, doomed with the longest name. Like my own country, the Philippines, which derived its name from King Philip II of Spain, I was named after famous people (Mariel Hemingway, Nicole Kidman, etc.). Like my own cou...

Meeting Me!

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Hi, my name is Winfred Ahupa, but my friends and family call me Winnie. I am a 23 year old feminist from Nigeria, West Africa. I hold a Bachelor in Science in Textile Science and Technology, from the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, Nigeria. Before my graduation I was the chairperson of Creative Writers’ Club ABU, a club which was founded in 1974. It encourages young writers and gives room for an intellectual discourse every week, between youths within and outside the campu...

The ‘Other-Centred’ Global Citizen

Published Avatar Blogger, Derwayne Wills

Avatar Blogger
Derwayne Wills

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said “what self-centred men have torn down, other-centred men can build up.” Being ‘other-centred’ means being conscious of the suffering of others, and doing your part to ensure that people are better off tomorrow than they were today and yesterday. I am an ‘other-centred’ global citizen with a responsibility of being my brother’s (and sister’s) keeper. I am also Guyanese, a youth activist, and a Journalist with a growing interest...

Words By Her

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

Hi, my name is Bhavana Shewale and I am from Mumbai, India. I am in my final year of medical school and I still have trouble believing I will be an MD before I turn 24! Growing up in a family full of surgeons can be intimidating but also inspiring. My great grandmother was an obstetrician during the time India was a British colony. She was a woman surgeon setting up a clinic and joining the fight for freedom, when women were expected to jump into their husband's pyre. My bedtime st...

Syria’s Children: An Entire Generation Lost

Published no picture Anant Mishra

no picture Anant Mishra

Introduction The uprising which began in March 2011 against the President Bashar Al Assad took a violent turn and resulted in a civil war which lasted for more than three years and affected more than 6.5 Million children. Activists were demanding economic stability, civil liberty and political freedom. The Syrian government referred to these activists as “terrorists”. During the civil war, children were exposed to human rights violations including mass killings, sexual abus...

We need action on girls' rights, not words

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Posted by Yulisa, Plan youth delegate from Dominican Republic Yulisa, 16, from the Dominican Republic is one of 5 Plan-supported youth delegates speaking out for girls' rights at the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) meeting this week. Here she explains what has inspired her to push for change. 11 March 2015: I have been in New York (at the CSW-59) for a week, and have felt very happy and proud of myself. In this week I feel that I have learned, interchanged ideas, met people from di...

Just The Beginning

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

Starting is always the hardest part. Putting words to paper (or a screen), taking the first step to creating something new, committing yourself to new goals, putting your words into action. Beginnings are tough. But you know what? Beginnings are incredibly full of new opportunity, possibility and life. Let me first introduce myself. I am a feminist, activist, reality-tv lover with a passionate spirit and a sweet tooth. I am incredibly privileged. I am a friend, a daughter and a s...

At a recent high level International Women's Day event in Pakistan, Plan youth advocates submitted the 'Girl Declaration' to the President of Pakistan and spoke passionately about the importance of girl's rights in the post 2015 agenda. Below we have provided you with a transcript of the speech that the girls gave: His Excellency Mr. Mamnoon Hussain, President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Honorable the First Lady, Ministers, Parliamentarians, Diplomats, Our fellow girl...

Life in the burial teams of Sierra Leone

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Posted by Kamanda, Plan Global Youth Advisory Panel member The people in Ebola burial teams are risking their lives to fight the disease and deserve our applause – not to be pushed away, blogs Kamanda, one of Plan’s Global Youth Advisory Panel members. 4 February 2015: The burial team is one of the roles in the Ebola response with the greatest risk - but the teams have made an incredible impact in the fight against the disease. The first time I saw an Ebola burial team...

VOY across the world