Young people are making their voices heard at the World Humanitarian Summit

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Chloe Reynaldo from the Philippines is one of the young people attending the first-ever World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul. On Tuesday 24 May, she will speak at the Special Session on ‘Transforming Humanitarian Action with and for Young People’. To find out more check out this page and follow #ShareHumanity on Twitter. 1. According to you, why should young people care about the World Humanitarian Summit? I believe that any event concerning global welfare should be re...

Girls step up to deal with crises

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

VICKY, 19, FROM EL SALVADOR "Violence exists everywhere in the world, but in my country, we have one of the highest murder rates in the world. Last year 575 women were murdered – 3 women every other day – and just 11% of those cases ended-up in trial. When walking in the streets or even at school, the threat of being raped is omnipresent. The threat of being abused in school is so high that it is a barrier to education. "But I try to be part of the solution by providing wo...

"We are agents of change"

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

My Name is Wantoe. I am 21years old and born in Liberia. My own country, Liberia, endured 15 years of civil conflict and just as we were recovering we became victims to the Ebola pandemic, with over 10,600 cases and 4800 deaths. When the Ministry of Health announced that the Ebola virus had crossed over into the country, I was in state of denial, it was difficult, every part of the city of Monrovia, was like a civil war. As a youth groups, originally working to prevent violence...

BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT

Published Avatar Mjtorres , Student

Mjtorres

In a garden full of torns, there would be a flower that would get your attention. There would be an outcast that would make other things pretty and bright. As life goes by there would be hardships that would certaionly bring you down but you are here because you deserve life. You may think that life isn't for everyone but let me tell you that you need to think twice if your view about having this life is like that. When you were born that's already a gift, you are lucky because...

Anyone can be an online activist! – And why become one?

Published no picture Abdur Rafay Usmani

no picture Abdur Rafay Usmani

Is there a cause you deeply support? Everyone has one. Some want an end to a regional conflict, others want to prevent one from occurring, some want greater rights for an underprivileged group and some want to halt the destruction being done to mankind’s heritage. But given the grinding daily routine many of us have, can it possible to play an active part in promoting positive change? Yes, it is. When we picture an activist, we imagine someone who takes part in street pro...

REDEMPTION

Published Avatar Wabai Yvonne Wairimu , student

Avatar student
Wabai Yvonne Wairimu

With vengeance in my eyes, I stood, Right there, in front of the prude, My life, a misery he had made, But 'twas not to last, I'd watch him fade. For ours was but a tale of love, Longing, caring, honest, respectful, love; Had it been lust? In my fury, was I being unjust? Was it not he that built me up, only to tear me down? Was it not he that cut me up into pieces, like kale coming into town? Was it not he that had me wearing my heart on my sleeve? Was it not he that fed...

The common targets matter!

Published no picture ShapranO , Student

ShapranO

As we are all here from different, deprived, splendid parts of our planet, I want to greet all of you! So, good morning, afternoon, evening or night! A little bit of introduction as required. My name is Olya. I am 18 and live in Ukraine. Now my country is known for the martial law in it. And I lose heart because of it. I assure you that Ukrainians are also the part of this magnificent world. And we want people live in peace and harmony as everyone else. That's why I don't...

Life As We Know It

Published no picture Tanusree Sen , Software Engineer

no picture Software Engineer
Tanusree Sen

Life and death are the two antagonistic words which are always associated to each other. These two words simple as they sound have indeed a very impactful and profound effect on the survival of the sentient beings. Lord Buddha describes the root kleshas (afflictions/suffering) in the Bhavacakra (circle of life) as, ignorance, attachment and aversion; which are truly responsible to hold us back in this samsara(sangsara/cyclic existence). In today’s world, people have started to believe a new r...

''My mind has turned into a real dumpster. You can find all kinds of things inside that bin. Important stuff, useless, stupid. No human being can even try to put them in order. The worst ? My brains ‘town hall’ doesn’t even have enough employees to deal with this matter. it's a financial crisis. No extra funds for extra issues. You must be laughing at me right now but to you, my dear friend, I always tell the truth .'’ I received this letter a while ago from a very dear h...

VOY across the world