The Failings of Festivals

Published Avatar Richa Gupta , Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine

Avatar Founder and Editor-in-chief of Moledro Magazine
Richa Gupta

The day was uncharacteristically scorching; perspiration ran down my face. The car air conditioner stopped working out of the blue, leaving me vulnerable to the oppressive heat of a particularly vindictive Indian afternoon. Just as I was craving a chilled glass of lemonade, I took a look out of the window, into my surroundings that were bathed in the rays of the blinding sun. And then I saw a long line of huge statues of Lord Ganesha, and realized that Ganesh Chaturthi was approach...

Why Invest in Teenage Girls?

Published no picture Ramatu Jaji , Master's in International Development

no picture Master's in International Development
Ramatu Jaji

Why Invest in Teenage Girls? Last week, Tanzania and Gambia made an important step towards protecting and empowering girls by criminalizing child marriage. World Population Day was marked a few days ago and the theme this year is ‘investing in teenage girls’. What does it mean to invest in teenage girls? Why girls? How? The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) reports that 1.8 billion of the world’s population (7.3 billion) is between the ages of 10 and 24, and half o...

Death Penalty: Iranian Woman Execution

Published Avatar Eya Abidi

Avatar Eya Abidi

Death penalty still exists in different countries worldwide. There are countries that permit executions, some have outlawed it and others have maintained a moratitorium. A twenty six-year-old Iranian woman, Reyhaneh Jabbari, was sentenced to death by the Thearnian court on the twenty fifth of October, 2014. The woman was accused by the murder of Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence’s former employee whom she argued that he had raped her. While the Theranian Justice System stated t...

Misogyny at Its Worst - The Middle East

Published Avatar Enana Hermez , Student

Enana Hermez

Addressing misogyny in the Middle East is not about salaries or political participation. Although these issues are fundamental, women in the Middle East want a lot less - the basic right to live and to have a free will. A woman dresses a certain way and posts pictures of herself on social media. In many parts of the world this is normal. In Pakistan, her brother strangled her and boasted about it. A woman is accused of being “sent by Americans” and “burning the Koran”...

The Oddest One

Published no picture Idil Kına

no picture Idil Kına

A few weeks ago I was at Hatay, Turkey. I went there to visit my father's village. Hatay is a wonderful city for the ones who don't know. It is located in the south part of Turkey, and through its thousands of years history, it has hosted many civilizations and is still a home to many people from many cultures. My father's village is a small place with the most peaceful and loving people. Despite being very different from the place I live, I always enjoy being there and spending ti...

Say NO to discrimination against vitilgo victims!

Published no picture Zara Qaiser , Student

Zara Qaiser

Has anyone ever forbid you from eating fish and milk together? I have been forbidden, by quite a number of people, for fear of developing a chronic skin condition ‘vitiligo’ (known as phulbari in Urdu). Being too naïve to figure out if that was actually true or not, I never dared to have fish and milk together. Yes, I was one of those. To be honest, I still think twice before having fish and milk together to this day, but I’m working on it. One thing is for sure though, I ha...

At what price do we pay for social media?

Published Avatar Tasha G , Student

Tasha G

Pressure. Perfection. Pretence. We live in a media-saturated world and we do not control the message. Social media has given youth a platform for communication and expression, but has it come at a price? On an average day, 8-18-year-olds are engaged with some form of media for 7.5 hours. The relentless pressure and value placed on being attractive and conforming to society’s ideals contributes to body dissatisfaction and disordered eating in youth. Due to the prolific use o...

Tangier Hosts “The MECOP 22

Published no picture Mohammed Qasserras

no picture Mohammed Qasserras

Tangier Morocco hosted a two day event on July 18 & 19 organized by the Region of Tangier-Tetouan-Al Hoceima, in collaboration with the Region of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur in France. More than 3000 participants active in regional climate change issues attended the meeting including cities and regions representatives, private sector companies, civil society/youth organizations, research/training centers, policymakers and elected officials from the Mediterranean Region. The...

Boy Blue

Published Avatar Mwaniki Nyaga , Student

Mwaniki Nyaga

She walked in behind him. She much liked to stare at the ground while walking. Her mother said she slouched. Her mother also made it known to her that she thought that her esteem was low. She just did not want to step on gum, that’s all. He wore blue. A faded blue tee covered by a denim sleeveless coat. Blue jeans, ripped at the knees. A blue cap sat on his hairless head, slanting in a crooked, almost lifeless way. He was staring at the ground too…Or was he staring at his als...

VOY across the world