'We all cried'. These words were said after the grandmother of 16-year-old rape victim saw the video. In this video you see how her granddaughter is being raped by over 30 men. How she's stripped of her humanity. Sadly the Brazilian people have got used to these stories. Their minds say to think of their own safety, but their hearts say that this story is one that the world must know about. As the day comes to an end, it gets louder and louder in front of the courthouse. Chanti...

Dream

Published Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

‘Instead of dreaming you should act.’ No! Start dreaming, then act. A beautiful Walt Disney quote comes to mind: “If you can dream it, you can do it.” It’s only in dreams that peaceful worlds exist. It’s only in dreams the good always wins from the evil without losing its goodness in the process. It’s only in dreams that tragedies like war, natural disasters, violence, racism, and so on don’t have to exist. It’s in dreams you become the hero to make it...

To all those trying to prove themselves

Published no picture Destiny Faye VR

no picture Destiny Faye VR

Trying and trying and miserably failing at proving myself to others, forcing them to recognise my place in this world, has been one of my greatest regrets. All that I've ever wanted, was for my sincere heart and honesty, my hard work and effort, and my ambition and passion, to be noticed. I exhausted myself trying to get the acknowledgment and approval of others, eventually...I gave up trying. I know that I am not alone. There are so many of us who attempt to get noticed by t...

Harambe the gorilla: My opinion

Published no picture Kayla

no picture Kayla

Hello all, today I will be talking about my reactions in light of a tragic event that has happened at the Cincinnati Zoo. On Saturday May 28, a 4-year-old boy at the zoo climbed over a 10-foot fence and fell into the gorilla enclosure. Harambe was a 17-year-old gorilla who saw the boy and held him up. However, frantic spectators alerted zookeepers, who shot Harambe dead. I learned about the incident from my mom. I went onto my laptop and saw many news story about the gorilla. As...

Technology without which we can’t live

Published Avatar Hafsa Sarfraz

Avatar Hafsa Sarfraz

In this day and age everyone uses technology in some way, shape or form to make life easier. For most people technology is not something we give a second thought to but some people literally can't live without it and I am not being dramatic. For some people the existence of technology is the difference between silence and laughter, loneliness and interaction and even life and death. Can we live without a technology? Of course our initial response to this question would be that...

Transgender Rights Are Human Rights

Published Avatar Zainab Ahmed Chughtai , Student

Zainab Ahmed Chughtai

Transgender people are those people who experience a mismatch between their gender identity or gender expression, and their assigned sex. Most transgender people face discrimination at work, in public and at health care centers or hospitals. Gender Interactive Alliance (GIA) works for the rights and social justice for transgender people in Pakistan. Transgender people do not have same rights as other Pakistanis. They are harassed, discriminated and are subjected to violence for...

Babajee

Published no picture Noor Samee

no picture Noor Samee

Pakistan passed a law in the 1980s to target the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, a minority sect of Islam. Zia-ul-Haq, the country's president at the time, justified the ordinance by claiming that Ahmadis are not true Muslims. Praying, using Islamic greetings, and reading the Quran was (and still is) considered a crime. According to Ordinance XX, if an Ahmadi "pretends" to follow Islam in any shape or form, they can be fined, sent to jail, or even killed. Part I I was born...

The Unarmed Armor

Published no picture Riju , Nepal Scouts

no picture Nepal Scouts
Riju

“Welcome to Sindhupalchowk” I saw it highlighted in a sideboard. Stared at it for a while; a pair of heart pound. “Are we really going there?” ‘Sindhupalchowk’ The longer is the word; the longer is its pain. A word enough to describe the latest catastrophe leaving hundreds dead and thousands injured. A word we would stick on and feel sympathetic. Sindhupalchowk was the charred finger of the disastrous Nepal earthquake. In collaboration with Nepal scouts and Naad...

Worth

Published no picture sophiejchadwick

no picture sophiejchadwick

It was Mental Health Awareness week (woo!) recently so I thought I’d talk a tiny bit about that. I think it’s great because it brings what usually is kept in the shadows out into the limelight. The thing about mental health is that deterioration can happen slowly, your life getting more and more grey each day, or suddenly appear, generally without realisation of what is going on until it’s a bit too late. It gets progressively worse, some days you’ll have good days, som...

VOY across the world