The Future of Learning: An Activate Talk

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

As a Voices of Youth representative, I attended UNICEF UK and Pearson’s Activate Talk on Future Learning, held in London last week. This is the first in a series of talks which bring together youth, innovators, experts and thought leaders to showcase the latest solutions on some of the biggest issues facing children in danger. Read on to find out how I got on… Here’s some food for thought; how do you think monumental changes in history begin? What, for example, spa...

The Jar

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

I grew up in a small town in India. Where I come from a small town means lights out and shutters down by 10, a drive to the nearest hilltop takes under twenty minutes and if you are really lucky, you can find a rundown airport. My town has changed. When I was born (that fateful year of 1991), small meant a population of about 600,000. Twenty three years later small is over 900,000. I was introduced to the theories about the population bomb, doubling rates and fading resource...

Tales by Moonlight

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Growing up, my mother always told us stories, at the fountain in the house. We huddled around her, eyes wide in anticipation of her famous stories, which always ended with phrases like “and that is how the tortoise got a cracked shell” or “that was how a dog became a domestic animal”. After every story my mother told, there was always a lesson to be learnt – from not being greedy to loving your neighbours. We nicknamed our story telling time with my mom “Tales by Mo...

The Little Voices

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

Last week I went to see the newest creation of Disney-Pixar, Inside Out. At its core, the animated movie documents the way our emotions impact our lives. How they figure in to the way we perceive and experience the world. While I could write an entire post just about how fantastic the movie is (GO SEE IT), I thought I would use a couple of the themes from the movie to work through how our emotions affect us as youth. We underestimate our emotions. We often try our hardest to igno...

The Tribal Bug In Humans

Published no picture Elizabeth Alampae Ayamga , Ms

no picture Ms
Elizabeth Alampae Ayamga

Me: My name is Elizabeth Ayamga Interlocutor 1: Are you a northerner? Me: Yes. Interlocutor 1: No I don’t believe you. You are too pretty to be a northerner. Interlocutor 2: Oh so you are a northerner? I never knew you are a Muslim. Me: Yes I am a Muslim. Call me Hajia, Amina or Muslima. I told you I am from Vea in the Bongo district of Ghana and I am called Elizabeth Alampae Ayamga. Interlocutor 3: Ayamga? You don’t look like a northerner. These are just...

Benazir Bhutto: An Unforgotten States Woman

Published Avatar Eya Abidi

Avatar Eya Abidi

“If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.” Indeed, Benazir Bhutto’s life story unfolds like a tale of Shakespearean dimensions in which she led a huge chain of success and through which she shifted from well pampered princess to an unbeaten and polarizing sates-woman in one of the most dangerous countries on earth. Benazir Bhutto was a paramount and conspicuous leader in the politics of Pakistan. She was the chair person of the Pakista...

Sustainable Development Goals: Addressing the Role of Young People

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

The following is Part I of a two-part blog from Sara, who is currently at the United Nations headquarters in New York, consulting on youth participation and governance sections within the Sustainable Development Goals. Hi, I’m Sara. I belong to Plan International’s Global Youth Advisory Panel. Currently, I’m in New York City preparing for a workshop called “Measuring Youth Engagement in Governance: Workshop on Youth-Focused Indicators for Goal 16 Governance Targets.”...

The Emancipation

Published Avatar Ala Oueslati , Mr.

Avatar Mr.
Ala Oueslati

Religion is a source of knowledge, inspiration, hope and serenity that people hold to give them purpose, value and peace. That is not what I was taught when I was younger. That is not what is being taught where I come from. What I was taught though, like most young people in the Middle East and North Africa, is that this part of the world is a region where hospitality is a fundamental quality and where generosity is the common behavioral code. I was also taught to pay respect t...

BLACK AND WHITE: ONE WORLD UNITY FOR ALL

Published no picture Prince Adeyemi Ridwan , Urban and Regional Planning student, federal university of technology, akure. Nigeria.

no picture Urban and Regional Planning student, federal university of technology, akure. Nigeria.
Prince Adeyemi Ridwan

As a kid in my native town there is a market where locals, craft men and traders from nearby villages come to sell and buy goods. A white man came from Unilever Plc. for inspection of the company’s products coincidentally the day was my first day of seeing a white man in my neighborhood. Though I do see white men but they were on magazines, billboards, televisions, and soap and cream covers. From there I could feel the air around the market, every trader with Unilever products on...

VOY across the world