Horn Free Day in Lagos!

Posted October 17, 2014 no picture Ma'Reke

no picture Ma'Reke View Profile

Have you ever imagined a Horn-free Day in your city? Now imagine a horn-free day in a bustling mega-city of at least 20 million people, with frequently traffic congested roads. Imagine a horn-free day in Lagos, Nigeria! October 15 was symbolic not just because it was the International Day of Rural Women, but because the Lagos state government marked a horn free day for all motorists in the metropolis-and the compliance was great. If there is one thing Lagosians do not miss t...

What Does Freedom Mean to the Common Man?

Posted October 17, 2014 no picture Effie Johari

no picture Effie Johari View Profile

Last August, Malaysia celebrated our Independence Day, a mark of freedom for the nation as a whole – freedom to self-determination, to have sovereignty over our own home soil, and to chart our own path as a modern nation. The word 'independence' and 'freedom' surely evoke something in the individual as a citizen of a country that not fifty seven years ago was under the colonization of another. What does freedom mean to the common man? Freedom to be part of a democracy, to vot...

“I’m happy to see my dad”, says Ibrahim* in a radiant smile. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for quite some time now”, explains the 9-year boy, holding tightly his brother in his arms. Ibrahim* and Abdul* are about to leave the UNICEF-supported Interim Care Center where they were living since they were discharged from the Ebola Treatment Center, one week ago. Their father, Hassan*, was still under treatment and both children had to wait until he recovered. This h...

World Food Day 2014 and Family Farming

Posted October 16, 2014 Avatar Unitika Schlawenger

Avatar Unitika Schlawenger View Profile

Some of you would really be surprised about the fact that nearly everyday is an international day in respect to one thing or another. But, keeping in view of my calendar marking the United Nations Observances, today the 16th of October 2014 is World Food Day. Let me inform everyone, the day was founded and is marked in the honour of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, which was founded then. This year's theme for the WFD is "Family Framing: Feeding...

Tafala* is sitting outside the ‘high-risk area’ of the Ebola Treatment Unit in Kenema, Eastern region, a hotspot in Sierra Leone. Greeting visitors with a big smile, she slowly start explaining. “I have lost my parents, all my family died because of Ebola. Only the children survived so far. Two of my brothers recovered and were discharged, their blood tests came negative. They’re staying with our auntie, waiting for us: two others boys (6 and 2), Awa* (one year) and I a...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

Posted October 16, 2014 no picture Angkush

no picture Angkush View Profile

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare us. - We are a flawed species, with different views. Be it a curse from God or our own negligence, we plead: Forgive us wholeheartedly. - Our tears bear testimony of the pain felt when seeing our dear ones dying, we plead: Soothe our ongoing cries. -You've shaken the world of many, taking them away with you, we plead: Blunt your axe please. - We are used to being bruised and pained,...

We're worth fighting for: Bring Back Our Girls

Posted October 16, 2014 Avatar End Sexual Violence

Avatar End Sexual Violence View Profile
Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. I am the same age as many of the girls who were abducted and I feel that it is important for me, as a young woman, to speak out on their behalf, in support of Bring Back Our Girls movement.

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/...

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. Three months ago, Boko Haram released a video showing its leader standing in front of armored vehicles mocking the Bring Back Our Girls movement. World leaders and celebrities promised us that swift action would be taken, but 219 girls remain in captivity waiting to be sold into marriage. Protestors in Ab...

Volunteerism today: My mixed feelings

Posted October 16, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

I was invited to an event last Tuesday. The Ministry of Social Services of Sri Lanka, along with UN Volunteers and UNDP, launched the National Volunteering Secretariat (NVS) at an extravagant event held in Galadari Hotel Colombo, with First Lady Shiranthi Wickramasinghe-Rajapaksa attending as the chief guest. The launch was followed by the 2-day National Conference on Volunteering. I learnt at the event that the NVS was conceived by the authorities sometime back. The motive beh...

Handwashing: A Free Vaccine Against Out-breaking diseases.

Posted October 15, 2014 Avatar Unitika Schlawenger

Avatar Unitika Schlawenger View Profile

Today, 15 October 2014, marks the Global Hand-washing Day. This marked events really helps educate others in under developed areas to wash their hands. People wash there hands every now and then, after eating, using the sanitary, before cooking, after handling sticky things, etc. My list surely goes on, but I also would like to raise a voice on one issue: Modernism and just us being lazy to it, is actually preventing our old hand-washing habits. In fact, we just open up the han...