The price for a Corruption free society is expensive

Posted November 28, 2014 Avatar Grace Kiunga

Avatar Grace Kiunga View Profile

I am driving to the airport to catch a plane and time is running out. A traffic officer stops me because I forgot to renew my insurance which is overdue. According to law and procedure, I have to go to the police station and write a statement for the offence I have committed of driving without an insurance. When I think of the cost and the hustle I will incur if I miss the flight, I decide to part with some money instead as a bribe to the officer so that he can let me through-which...

Child Gauge Book Launch

Posted November 27, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/se...

Young Reporters from Aganang FM and Alex FM recently attended the Child Gauge Book Lauch in Pretoria South Africa. Amongst the distinguished guests they interviewed were Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini,Mbuyiselo Bothafrom Sonke Gender Justice and Nadi Albino from UNICEF to mention just a few. They spoke to them about violence and the role of government in the fight against violence against children.

Powerful Young Leaders Interview: Baroness Lindsay Northover

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/po...

The Powerful Young Leaders from Mams FM got an amazing opportunity to interview Baroness Lindsay Northover from the UK. Baroness Northover is the UK Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, the chief representative for the Department for International Development, and a member of the House of Lords. Charity and Made spoke to her about her interest in South African youth and the role that youth should play in society.

The 16 Days of Activism against gender violence is an international campaign. It starts on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on 25th November and ends on 10 December, Human Rights Day. The campaign hopes to raise awareness on gender based violence prevention and response. This sort of violence affects men, women, boys and girls in every other culture and society. In Afghanistan 92% women and girls are mostly abused by family members including sex...

The Olympics As Our Voice Towards Activism

Posted November 26, 2014 no picture Jennifer Tran

no picture Jennifer Tran View Profile

On November 2, 2014, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution that "supports the independence and autonomy of sport as well as the mission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in leading the Olympic Movement." The resolution ultimately separates the controversies of world politics with the active participation in sports - banning boycotts of the Olympic Games and requiring countries to fully participate in athletics. It is also disallows the IOC from banning...

Two Game Changers: Nimco Ali and Laura Bates

Posted November 26, 2014 Avatar #YouthForChange

Avatar #YouthForChange View Profile

As part of #16DaysOfActivism, we at #YouthForChange will be highlighting incredible women from across the world who have taken real strides to end violence against women and girls. Nimco Ali It’s incredibly difficult to describe just how amazing this young woman is – she really is the embodiment of what it means to be a fearless woman. A survivor of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Nimco has been campaigning to mainstream the issue in the UK and recently started working o...

Let's Look to the Future of the Environment As Well

Posted November 25, 2014 no picture Shivani

no picture Shivani View Profile

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan took over 10,000 lives in the Philippines, leaving the island country devastated. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011 killed about 19,000 people and released nuclear radiation into the soil. These recent weather disasters can be explained by global warming. In fact, recently severe climate events are the result of weather change that is being caused by human activities. Global warming is characterized by an increase in temperatures, which causes...

Teaching Salaries

no picture Shivani View Profile

When we ask children the question what they want to be when they will grow up, we get: doctor, lawyer, engineer, scientist...but teacher? A career that is synonymous with budget cuts and layoffs? In the United States, teaching has never been considered as a prospective career, which has adversely affected America’s educational system and international rankings. For example, in the most recent OECD International Student Assessment Test, American students ranked 25th in math, 17th...

Why Universal Public Education Should Matter to Everyone

Posted November 25, 2014 no picture ccover

no picture ccover View Profile

“All I want is an education, and I am afraid of no one.” These are the words of Malala Yousafzai, the youngest person to ever receive the Nobel Peace Prize, a front-cover feature in Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential” issue, and the author of her own bestselling novel, I Am Malala. Her shocking and nerve-wracking story – sitting with classmates on the bus after school and being shot in the head for blogging about life under the Taliban – brought about worldwide r...