The Platform for Geniuses – NTSE

Posted September 12, 2014 Avatar Naren Sharma

Avatar Naren Sharma View Profile

NTSE is National Talent Search Examination that is held every year for Indian students settled in India & abroad. The main objective of the NTSE exam is to spot the best talents and skills in the country and boost their confidence so that they can be a part of the bright future of the country. This is one of the most popular exams and also one of the toughest in India which is conducted since 1963. There are about 1000 scholarships that are provided to the students who clear NT...

Young Reporters from Cape Town interview the US Ambassador, Patrick Gaspard

Posted September 12, 2014 no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation View Profile

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/yo...

The youth reporters at Red River Primary School in Cape Town got the opportunity to interview Patrick Gaspard, the US Ambassador to South Africa. And it seemed they hit all the right notes with this diplomat.

One step in the democratization of education is off-campus learning

Posted September 12, 2014 no picture Rhia

In recent times, online education has become more and more popular. It began with independent groups, such as Khan Academy, who began to offer online classes for people to improve on specific skills. Now, there are hundreds of Universities throughout the world who offer online courses, whether for credit or simply for their educational value. Even Harvard has an online component now, as part of edX, a group of schools offering online classes. I strongly believe that schools sho...

FEMEN. Have you heard of it?

Posted September 11, 2014 Avatar Oksana Hirchak

Avatar Oksana Hirchak View Profile

Have you heard about such an organization as FEMEN? I would like you not to have. I will explain why I wish that later. Let me introduce FEMEN for the beginning. It is “an international women’s movement of brave topless female activists painted with the slogans and crowned with flowers. FEMEN female activists are the women with special training, physically and psychologically ready to implement the humanitarian tasks of any degree of complexity and level of provocation. FEMEN...

CRC@25

Posted September 11, 2014 Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada View Profile

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), is a treaty ratified by a almost all the countries in the world. It is distinctly clear that people and governments value the rights of their children, and are constantly involved in activities that facilitate children to realise their full potential through rights. In Sri Lanka, specific focus is given to various issues such as realising access to education and healthcare for children - in fact, access to educatio...

Digital Media & Child Rights - 2014 Day of General Discussion

Posted September 11, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

How many children around the world use the internet and mobile phones? How are children using social media? What are the risks to children using digital tools? What are the opportunities for improving access to information and education? The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child tells the world the rights that ALL children have. But the Convention came about in 1989 - long before the internet became available to everyone; long before nearly everyone had a mobile phon...

DEFORESTATION - WASTED RESOURCES

Posted September 11, 2014 no picture Nancy_VOYMaps_Zambia

no picture Nancy_VOYMaps_Zambia View Profile

Zambia is known to have one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. This is mainly because most of its people depend highly on wood for fuel. Charcoal and timber production are the main causes of deforestation as well as bad farming methods such as the "Chitemen" System also referred to as the 'Slush and Burn' method. This is a case where farmers clear a piece of land by burning, to use for crop production and once the land proves unfertile, it is left bare, exposed and un...

Rubbish Heaps in Industrial Areas in Solwezi

Waste management practices and proper disposal seem to be a challenge in Solwezi district of North-Western Province in Zambia. From rubbish pits at home and piles of paper dumped outside offices and shops to litter thrown out of moving vehicles and heaps of rubbish in the streets. Even though they are sometimes cleared or picked up, it still poses a health hazard for people living or worning near these areas as they act as a host for bacteria and other diseases like cholera. The pr...

Street Water Spraying Program in Solwezi

Solwezi is the capital city of the North-Western Province of Zambia. Due to recent mining and land clearing practices Solwezi's roads have become a huge source of dust. According to research, dust kicked up by vehicles moving on roads makes up to 33% of air pollution. This poses grave danger to children, older people and people suffering from respiratory diseases by affecting their breathing. It also worsens illnesses such as lung disease, asthma, heart diseases and other chronic d...