Waves of Freedom

Posted Avatar Rim Ben Haj Yahia , Engineer

Avatar Engineer
Rim Ben Haj Yahia

“What’s your horoscope?” he asked. As if he was looking for another sign to prove they were a perfect fit for each other. His dark sparkling eyes were filled with passion and devotion. I couldn’t see her face quite well , but from her voice, I knew she too was drunk in love. It was a late summer afternoon, and I was waiting for my friend in an old coffee shop by the beach. They were sitting on a table next to me. It was close enough that I could hear a part of their conversation. "Pisces...

From Dhaba to Cafe

Posted Avatar Nafees A. Siddique , Writer

Avatar Writer
Nafees A. Siddique

Roaming around Karachi city, for me, the best place in town is Dhaba (Chai Wala), where I go for peace of mind especially in the evening after work. Usually there is a Paan shop nearby where you can easily find your favorite snacks, depending on how you feel.At Dhaba, you will be served perfect Doodhpatti (milk tea) along with Paratha (a delicious local bread). There are some ‘burger’ Chai Walas too where you can taste a variety of Chai including the Kashmiri , my favorite one.Other than the...

Mental Health Stigma

Posted no picture Bella , Student

Bella

With depression prevalent in as many as 15 million adults, in the US alone, the mental health of individuals and society as a whole is an issue that has its importance and urgency to discuss increase every day.Although the severity of this situation has been brought to attention more over the years, it hasn't seemed to be enough. In light of the new Netflix original series 13 Reasons Why, issues surrounding mental health has been brought to a more public stage and has "connected" with the large...

A hug a day to save the world

Posted no picture Ashley , Student

Ashley

Hugging is an action rarely done in my family. We do love each other, but we are not very physical in showing our actions, preferring to say “I love you” instead of hugging. Sometimes, though, we do hug. When I am sad, my mother will pull me close and hug me, and the comfort that covers me is astounding; it feels so much more soothing and better than words.After wondering why this was so, I decided to do some research and came up with some interesting answers.Hugging does apparently make you...

VOY Inspire! - Happiness And A Ninja (Part 1)

Posted Avatar Unitika Schlawenger , International Youth Representative

Avatar International Youth Representative
Unitika Schlawenger

In this big, ever-growing complex world of ours, it’s sometimes quite hard to find the right definitions to simple words like happiness, or other emotions and feelings. Perhaps the only way to get through the hustle and bustles of life is to pursue true happiness. To wake up every day, willing only positive vibes and building the attitude to simply stay happy, no matter whatever evil or bad karma comes your way. Easily said, but indeed very hard to practice. But believe it or not, whether y...

Though I was born in the United States, I come from a family where every single person is a war refugee from Vietnam -- my four grandparents, my seven uncles, my eight aunts, and both my mom and dad. That means there are twenty-one refugees in the family, not to mention the cousins, aunts, and uncles they all have. So, I grew up hearing stories surrounding all sorts of civil rights issues.My aunt was the one who decided to write about their lives. When I was growing up, I'd beg her to let me rea...

Mental illness

Posted no picture Sophieslis , Student

Sophieslis

Mental illness is a major issue affecting young people. Currently one in 16 young people in Australia have a depression related disorder; one in 14 have an anxiety related disorder; and finally, one in four young Australians have a mental health condition. I am one of the many young Australians suffering from Anxiety. I have social anxiety. It can be debilitating, frustrating and annoying. It makes me feel alone often and causes me to be incredibly introverted. To make matters worse, my speech i...

Teenage love

Posted no picture Dozy ♡ , Ghadeer hayder

no picture Ghadeer hayder
Dozy ♡

I was sixteen, so was sheShe was like the stars that shine in the dark long nightsShe was like the sky beautiful, but distantLike the space, interesting, but frightfulI really wanted to know her.But i couldn't. Because i was so shyI've known everything about herThe way she talks to me, the way she laughsAnd how she spreads little laughters everywhere she goesHow she talks to her friends and how she helps elderly peopleHow she's nice to everybodyI liked her. I really didI wanted her to like me ba...

Happy Earth Day

Posted Avatar Kashish K , Student majoring in Political Science and English Literature

Avatar Student majoring in Political Science and English Literature
Kashish K

Dear Mother Earth,I wish I could begin this letter just like I’ve always been taught in school how to go about writing an informal letter when it’s your mother’s birthday and you want to express your love to her.Unfortunately, we’ve all been awful and horrible to you and I can’t begin this letter with – ‘How are you’. We took you for granted and never bothered to love you back. And even now, if I could give you all the love in my heart hoping that somehow it could heal you from t...

VOY across the world