The price for a Corruption free society is expensive

Posted November 28, 2014 Avatar Grace Kiunga

Avatar Grace Kiunga View Profile

I am driving to the airport to catch a plane and time is running out. A traffic officer stops me because I forgot to renew my insurance which is overdue. According to law and procedure, I have to go to the police station and write a statement for the offence I have committed of driving without an insurance. When I think of the cost and the hustle I will incur if I miss the flight, I decide to part with some money instead as a bribe to the officer so that he can let me through-which...

Two Game Changers: Nimco Ali and Laura Bates

Posted November 26, 2014 Avatar #YouthForChange

Avatar #YouthForChange View Profile

As part of #16DaysOfActivism, we at #YouthForChange will be highlighting incredible women from across the world who have taken real strides to end violence against women and girls. Nimco Ali It’s incredibly difficult to describe just how amazing this young woman is – she really is the embodiment of what it means to be a fearless woman. A survivor of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Nimco has been campaigning to mainstream the issue in the UK and recently started working o...

Let's Look to the Future of the Environment As Well

Posted November 25, 2014 no picture Shivani

no picture Shivani View Profile

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan took over 10,000 lives in the Philippines, leaving the island country devastated. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011 killed about 19,000 people and released nuclear radiation into the soil. These recent weather disasters can be explained by global warming. In fact, recently severe climate events are the result of weather change that is being caused by human activities. Global warming is characterized by an increase in temperatures, which causes...

Teaching Salaries

no picture Shivani View Profile

When we ask children the question what they want to be when they will grow up, we get: doctor, lawyer, engineer, scientist...but teacher? A career that is synonymous with budget cuts and layoffs? In the United States, teaching has never been considered as a prospective career, which has adversely affected America’s educational system and international rankings. For example, in the most recent OECD International Student Assessment Test, American students ranked 25th in math, 17th...

Why Universal Public Education Should Matter to Everyone

Posted November 25, 2014 no picture ccover

no picture ccover View Profile

“All I want is an education, and I am afraid of no one.” These are the words of Malala Yousafzai, the youngest person to ever receive the Nobel Peace Prize, a front-cover feature in Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential” issue, and the author of her own bestselling novel, I Am Malala. Her shocking and nerve-wracking story – sitting with classmates on the bus after school and being shot in the head for blogging about life under the Taliban – brought about worldwide r...

L'oranais, an Algerian movie

Posted November 25, 2014 no picture GHEBOULI Zinelabidine

no picture GHEBOULI Zinelabidine View Profile

Most of us like cinema, like seeing movies and watching series. Many of us like actors and there are even those who consider actors and actresses as ideal persons! Personally, I appreciate cinema, I’m one of its fans actually and that’s why I was happy when I heard about the Algerian movie “L’oranais” which was produced and directed by an Algerian called ‘Ilyes Salem’. “L’oranais” is about the phase after the Algerian revolution, but it gives a new point of vi...

Youth and politics

Posted November 25, 2014 Avatar Davina Chowreemootoo

Avatar Davina Chowreemootoo View Profile

In this ambitious world of ours where we are living within an ethically composed web, acquiring political literacy is a matter of predominant importance. The true regimen of politics is to shape a proportional and egalitarian society denoting integrity and lawfulness but it seems to be covertly executed asymmetrically. History is the witness that testifies the deformity that politics has withstood. From career devoted politicians who have ensured substantial evolution towards a...

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers--My Crusade

Posted November 25, 2014 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy View Profile

When you are trying to change the world, and everyone around you says “no”, you are most likely to step down…step down into some dark abyss of ignorance and inactivity which separates the losers from the winners, really. “Just do it”, you know the Nike motto, is my life’s motto. I despise fear itself. Living in fear is like living in a closet. Soon enough, you’ll suffocate and wither down to nothing. When I find an issue I want to change or affect, I get on the bandwa...

Dear Diary Entry

Posted November 25, 2014 Avatar Jessie Wamae

Avatar Jessie Wamae View Profile

I composed this a couple of weeks back; I was feeling down and hopeless. It's probably different from the pieces submitted; But I just hoped it could appeal to those who feel like they aren't worth much every now and then; who allow their insecurities to consume them... and who need to realize that sometimes the "only person stopping you from being who you want to be... from being happy... is you". You are guilty. This was my letter to No one. I am guilty for making mysel...