PLURAL+ Awards 2014: “Borderless"

Posted December 19, 2014 Avatar MischaVOY

Avatar MischaVOY View Profile

Interview with Ahmad Albakri, a young filmmaker from Palestine. 1. What is your video about? My film tells my personal story of defining freedom, a concept that is still obscure for over four million Palestinians living under the Israeli occupation. The story projects a surrealistic approach to showcase Northern Cyprus as an example to realize how simple surroundings can always connect Palestinians to the confinement of their reality. It is mainly a projection of an intense...

How am I ever going to afford a house?

Posted December 19, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry View Profile

The average property price in London, the city in which I grew up, has now reached £500,000. Meanwhile average rents are nearing £17,000. There is already little hope of me being able to get onto the housing ladder, and being able to rent seems just the same, so what will happen to the futures of my generation? Well average wages for people across the UK are £26,500, so after taking into account tax and paying the rent, I'm left with £6,000 to live on. It may se...

PLURAL+ Awards 2014: “Fruit Salad"

Posted December 18, 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY View Profile

Interview with Kay Lee, a young filmmaker from Australia/France. 1. What is your video about? My film, "Fruit Salad" is a metaphor representing the plurality of people in the world. The more types of fruit, the greater the salad. It is a video that underscores the importance of integration and values of acceptance. That the world can be a lot "healthier" if it works towards this goal. I was motivated to create it as a result of my experiences in Europe. I came to the real...

7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue

Posted December 17, 2014 Avatar New Era Educational and Charitable Support Foundation

Avatar New Era Educational and Charitable Support Foundation View Profile

The Theme of the 7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue (http://www.interfaithdialogueconference.org/) is: "The Role of Religions to Build Peace, Security and Counter Violent Extremism in Africa". Security is one of the most challenging issues in our world today. Security problem is such a global issue that there is virtually no country or continent that is left un-affected by the menace of terrorism and security challenges in general. While in principle, mos...

My experience as a young person in the fight against corruption

Posted December 17, 2014 Avatar Yosr Jouini

Avatar Yosr Jouini View Profile

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption." - Kurt Cobain. Corruption: is it a challenge or an obstacle? Or maybe it's an indication that something is wrong? In fact, corruption was the main cause for which the Tunisian revolution started back in 17th of December 2010. It’s been 4 years now since Bouazizi burnt himself alive in a front of the municipality as an act of despair yet rebellion against a regime that used to enhanced poverty and unemployment among people....

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

Posted December 17, 2014 Avatar Maurice Eze

Avatar Maurice Eze View Profile

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made their way into Army Public School in Northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar through a graveyard situated behind the school. They fired shots sporadically at the kids and teachers and this claimed the lives of 145 innocent children with about 186 injured. It was a terrible massacre, a targeted one at that. It is not just a Pakistani tragedy but an International Calamity and one that...

Consumerism

Posted December 17, 2014 no picture Daanial Chaudhry

I don't normally opt to quote Wikipedia, for fear that it is often inaccurate, but Wikipedia on this occasion has provided me the definition of consumerism that I believe makes most sense to me and to you. "Consumerism is a social and economic order and ideology that encourages the acquisition of goods and services in ever-greater amounts." There you have it, consumerism. Something many of us have been consumed by, regardless of our background, wealth or culture. We...

The Reality of Immigration

Posted December 17, 2014 Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante View Profile

Immigration is a tricky and highly contested issue in American politics and society today. The whole issue becomes “foggy” right from the get-go. The reasons for one leaving may seem voluntary to one person but to another may seem forced. Forced migration is when a person is quite literally forced to leave like a slave, or a refugee whereas voluntary migration is when a person choses to leave for whatever reason. Thus, Immigration isn’t like Abortion or Same-Sex Marriage or G...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Use Music for A Good Cause"

Posted December 16, 2014 Avatar Rahel Kristi Ardiana

Avatar Rahel Kristi Ardiana View Profile

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” –Plato Youth and music is two inseparable things. We can find music basically everywhere in our daily life and we can see that very often music is used as a tool to engineer change in our community. And throughout history, music has been a vehicle for enacting change in the world. “If we can make music for a good cause and shine a light to people around us, why not...