It’s time to sparkle

Published Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

When I first started posting here on VOY, I did not tell anyone. Not my best friends and not my family. I didn’t know why at first. Now I realize it was because I was afraid that people might discover another side of me, an ambitious side. So I wondered, why? Why am I afraid of people knowing that I’m ambitious? I still don’t know the answer to that question. But what I do know is that since I’ve started showing my ambition many people have told me they respect me for it, b...

In this castle we built

Published Avatar Shorouq Tarek , .

Avatar .
Shorouq Tarek

Ever had an imaginary version of a place that you wish was real? A place of your own where you had the chance to set the rules? This is my version of a dream place In this castle we built, Hands of fate weren’t in charge. Everything was steady, Boring but never vulnerable. In this castle we built, Rules of time didn’t apply, it moves slowly when we’re content and fast when it must. In this castle we built, Darkness wasn’t scary and light didn’t...

"Time to make history!"

Published no picture Idil Kına

no picture Idil Kına

"3...2...1...", "This is it, time to make history!". These were the lines that were said by the characters of the cartoon "Loud House" as Nickelodeon introduced its first married gay couple. An introduction more valid than that couldn't be made. Before I tell why, let me describe the scene a little bit. It is a scene which a gay and bi-racial couple, Howard and Harold McBride, drop off their son Clyde at a slumber party. So they are not just a same-sex couple, they are also multi...

Turn Up the Heat

Published Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

Race is only a problem if you make it one. Don’t ever, ever, try to say anything otherwise. I was once told that cold is just the absence of heat, and similarly, hate and violence works the same way. You are born without bias, carefree and innocent. Prejudice only comes through your lifetime of experience. Hate is just the absence of love, thus violence is absence of peace. Without the heat turned up, the cold will creep into our homes and our lives. Some of us might disp...

My Duke of Edinburgh Award: adventurous expedition

Published no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

Despite being blistered and achy, I can now officially announce that I have completed my Duke of Edinburgh expedition and I'm so happy I did it! For those who are not familiar with DOfE, The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is available to all 14–25 year old, regardless of their background. The Award is comprised of three levels, each progressively more challenging. Participants are required to complete four sections at each level: Service, Skill, Physical Recreation and...

To children of the war

Published Avatar Just my two c€nts , Medical student

Avatar Medical student
Just my two c€nts

For you with my heart I pray I pray for you to turn stronger each day I wish borders wouldn't matter to anyone anymore And the world to welcome all souls alone and sore I hope you'll open your hearts & let go of all fear Cause me and billions are there for you here I know that I'm neither your kith nor kin I'm just someone wishing your faith to be restored in humanity in this turmoil's din I'm aware it's too much to ask since I've never been in your shoes...

Never stop dreaming: an inspiring example

Published Avatar Artemis B.

Avatar Artemis B.

There are different times when I wrote in different posts that we should never stop dreaming, even when the circumstances around us make us think otherwise. It is something that I really believe. There were times, though, when I was thinking that this was not really possible for me. But then changed. Thursday, 18 February 2016: Padelis Padelidis, ''the guy with the guitar'' was killed in a car accident at age 32.The shock was huge for everyone. It’s not just that I like his son...

Boldness and Irony - "Under One Roof"

Published Avatar Harkirat Bhullar , Global Citizen

Avatar Global Citizen
Harkirat Bhullar

Would you turn down a million dollars for a tiny little house? Well, Edith Macefield did. Not only did she turn down an offer for tons of money from a construction company wanting to build a mall on her land, she left the house to the general manager of the construction project in her will. Barry Martin, the manager of that project explains how his responsibility for getting the woman to leave her house, eventually led him to become a caregiver, friend and more to the elderly w...

While You Were Away

Published no picture Limo Yoni , Student

Limo Yoni

Papa while you were away, I learnt to sit, to crawl and to walk, At ten months I halted my midnight cries, At two and a half is when I first asked for you. Papa while you were away, And I turned ten and grew taller, And then mother’s health got worse, We longed & yearned to see you then. Papa while you were away, I graduated as a professional doctor, But I had no one to celebrate with, For mother was gone and you remained unheard. Papa while...

VOY across the world