Gene editing: The cure of the future

Posted Avatar Sagar Gupta , Student

Sagar Gupta

Brian Madeux had Hunter’s syndrome, an inherited, rare genetic disorder caused by a missing or malfunctioning enzyme (“MPS II”). As a result, Madeux underwent more than two dozen operations (Marchione, 2017). A treatment that consisted of weekly doses of the missing enzyme was available, but it would cost more than 100,000 dollars per year and could potentially lead to brain damage. So, in November 2017, Madeux decided to undergo gene therapy, making him the first person in the United States to...

The hope within

Posted no picture Carly

no picture Carly

I have been waiting to write this. It took me so long to find the words. I’m still not sure I have them.While I was waiting, there have been twelve more mass shootings. But today, that’s not what I want to talk about.………………………..I didn’t have my phone on me all day. It was the first day in so long I had gone over twelve hours without hearing any kind of news. I finally arrive home, walk through the door; the television is on. I see the breaking news banner at the bottom of the screen. In a world...

Spoken truth?

Posted Avatar Isabella Giulia , Booming voices

Avatar Booming voices
Isabella Giulia

We have all experienced the power of language. We have all read something that stuck to us. Been told something that made us think. Been convinced of a false truth. Language can change a moment, change a life and change a world.Napoleon Bonaparte used to ask all of his men if they thought they could win the war. If they answered ‘yes’ they would be accepted into his army. If they answered ‘no’, they would be declined. This is because Napoleon believed in the power of language in conveying an emo...

Towards An Empathetic World

Posted no picture Rafid Zaman Pranto , Student

Rafid Zaman Pranto

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main…” — John Donne I come from a middle-income family of Bangladesh, which is a small third-world country in Southeast Asia. Lack of adequate resources for a population of about 170 million has made living tough for many of us. Since an early age, I have witnessed here the baneful effects of the lopsided distribution of assets, flagrant disparities, religious extremities, and innumerable other problems...

How Instagram made a big hole in my life

Posted no picture Anik Mei D.

no picture Anik Mei D.

Nowadays, we live with the swift flow of technology. Technology is growing rapidly, innovation is endlessly flowing. Along with the proliferation of smartphones and Android operating systems, people can now easily access the internet with the gadget in their hands.Taking photos is also easy, capturing the moment whenever you want. In the end, you most likely will upload it to Instagram. Yes, who doesn't know this photo sharing application? Almost everyone knows the fun application for 'showing o...

Regional economic development

Posted no picture 황선찬 , student

no picture student
황선찬

In Gwansan-dong, South Korea where our school is located, we have devised a program to induce economic growth. We believe that further economic development of our district is necessary because it is behind many others. Initially we thought that as students the activities we could do to make a change were limited. Our school has been making various donations for Gwansan-dong through activities such as the Gwansandong Project, but we wanted to help even more. As part of the Global Citizenship Chal...

Creativity is success

Posted no picture Mahnoor._Zaidi , Student Of Grade 9

no picture Student Of Grade 9
Mahnoor._Zaidi

It's about the balmy day with scorching sun rays. I was on my way to my destination and deep in thought. I heard someone saying "science has more scope for careers than creativity". I thought that statement was true, but what if we want to be an artist or blogger? A student in a science class whose interest is to be in business might not get a strong grade, but he doesn't need to study science because it's something different from his interest. I know science is compulsory for most schools, but...

All the love

Posted Avatar Anisja Sonja G. , Observer of everyday life

Avatar Observer of everyday life
Anisja Sonja G.

Love - a magical word which can ease any pain, relieve anyone from any hardship and can unlock another one's heart. What a life we all have when we breathe thanks to the power of love, a power which we underestimate and forget about but yet, cannot move on without.When you open your eyes, and look through your window and see all the clouds moving over the sky you can feel yourself floating through the air, thinking of your heart as a feather that is bound by the strength of the universe to float...

Why Law?

Posted no picture Activist_Kamaal

no picture Activist_Kamaal

Everyone is different from each other and, in fact, we all are created uniquely which means human beings have different behaviors, mindsets and attitudes. I was born curious and inquisitive; which led me to explore myself more deeply. As a young child, I used to ask people “Why is this not happening? Why are problems not getting better? Why are some people like that? Is it possible to make the world better?The desire of acquiring information, as well as my wish to see a better world, gave me the...

VOY across the world