Poverty Is Hindering Successful Address of Climate Change in Kenya

Published no picture Caroline Kibii , Environmentalist

no picture Environmentalist
Caroline Kibii

Climate change is a subject of global concern. With the increasing talks on reduction of carbon emissions, most people are realizing the reality and the massive impacts related to global warming. Global summits on climate change and the negotiations have put pressure on several governments to check on their carbon emissions by developing stringent rules and regulations. Kenya is one of the countries facing climate change on a higher scale. Kenya being a developing country cat...

Womanhood Is Not a Curse

Published Avatar Lebera

Avatar Lebera

Every inch of skin on my body feels hard as a rock and I painfully manage to keep walking. I look straight ahead and anxiously pull my shirt away from my breast. I feel a lump forming in my throat and my limbs become numb. For the next few days I would helplessly try to wipe the scene out of my mind but my memory will deny me that comfort. I keep myself from bringing it up again but it is all swirling in my head: his eyes piercing through my shirt, the knot forming in my stomac...

About three months ago, my professor for Modern Comparative Governments assigned our class to read Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya. As we were studying the development of the Indian political system, the assignment was a logical one. A story about a child getting married in colonial India, the book follows the main character, Rukmani, and her life. Full of hardships and tragedies related to finance and family, Markandaya’s poignant story convinces the reader that all of...

Hollaback, Kathmandu

Published Avatar Utsah , student

Avatar student
Utsah

Internationally, studies show that between 80-99% of women experience street harassment at least once in their lifetime. In Nepal, 1 in 10 women face street harassment everyday (Center for Research on Environment Health and Population Activities, Nepal). Harassment is the most pervasive form of gender based violence and is so widespread in Nepal that it is considered to be normal behavior. Over 30,000 women are harassed every day in Kathmandu, that’s one woman in every three seco...

A New World

Published Avatar Winifred Ahupa

Avatar Winifred Ahupa

I love to feel things...probably that’s how I know they are real, the feeling of; Love, euphoria, dislike, excitement, fear, nostalgia... I want to feel it all. I want life to revolve Around many things I want to touch lives And have my life touched too... Beginning… It is the morning of April fool’s Day; I sit on my chair smiling sheepishly at my phone. I just can’t believe it, I must be dreaming! My boss walks in and notices me, but I don’t...

The Reflection

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

When you look in the mirror every morning, what is it that you see? Maybe you don’t recognize the person you see staring back at you. Maybe you see a young girl wishing she had a different nose or the blond hair she sees on the beautiful actress in her favourite movie. Maybe you see the man struggling with figuring out how to convince the world that he is strong and tough enough to meet their standards of masculinity. I see a young woman struggling with new changes in her l...

A Blogging Internship: A Learning Curve

Published Avatar Elizabeth VOY

Avatar Elizabeth VOY

My application to the Voices of Youth blogging internship was a whim. I sent a sample piece of writing as a means to test myself – to see whether I’d have the nerve to click ‘apply here’. Of course I thought I’d never hear back – over 1,000 applicants, they'd never pick a lass from Newcastle to blog on global issues affecting the youth of today. Oh…. Wait. I remember opening the email at work and I practically skipped home. As I let the elation sink in, it slowl...

Is There a Difference in Being Rude and Being Opinionated?

Published no picture Bhageera Zuleika Sivakumaran

no picture Bhageera Zuleika Sivakumaran

I have recently wondered as a girl whether in this modern era, I am allowed to voice my opinions or, if it is seemed unfit and rude to elders. A few weeks ago I met one of my friends’ father, this "Uncle" was your typical male Asian stereotype who was the voice of the family, his words are law and his decisions are final. Me, as an Asian girl, I have been raised by my parents that I must always respect my elders BUT I must also realize that although they have a vast amount...

When a Boy Loves a Man

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

When I was young, I used to spend my summers on an island fifteen minutes away from the city proper. Back then, I was a really girly girl. I wore denim skirts with pigtails, was highly invested in Bratz t-shirts and devoured young adult romance books. Like any self-conscious and self-confident preteen, I had a crush on every and any older boy I encounter. One of these was a seventeen-year-old boy (“Paolo”), who assisted my Uncle, who was a fisherman. I would wake up at five i...

VOY across the world