When a Boy Loves a Man

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

When I was young, I used to spend my summers on an island fifteen minutes away from the city proper. Back then, I was a really girly girl. I wore denim skirts with pigtails, was highly invested in Bratz t-shirts and devoured young adult romance books. Like any self-conscious and self-confident preteen, I had a crush on every and any older boy I encounter. One of these was a seventeen-year-old boy (“Paolo”), who assisted my Uncle, who was a fisherman. I would wake up at five i...

Is Compulsory Military Training the Answer to Youth Unemployment?

Published Avatar Itumeleng Mphure , Ms

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

The military is the backbone and shield of any state. The military is cardinal for a state’s defence, as it protects it against internal and external threats. Throughout history the military has been used to further a state’s interest. These interests may include and are not limited to invading another country, staging a coup (internal or external), defending the state against an imminent threat, defending the region and being involved in peacekeeping missions e.g. AU, UN, EU t...

Tales From Costa Rica – Pura Vida

Published Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Costa Rica’s mantra is Pura Vida, which translates to Living Purely. It is used in all kinds of scenarios from farewells to exclamations. This saying is more than just something said to appease tourists but rather it is a way of life. Regardless of the socioeconomic status, job, or location everyone is all about Pura Vida. Costa Rica exudes this feeling and it is something that I naturally needed to reflect on. So what a better place to start my “Tales of Costa Rica” serie...

Finding Wonderland...

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

"Her eye fell upon a little bottle that stood near the looking-glass. There was no label this time with the words 'DRINK ME,' but nevertheless she uncorked it and put it to her lips. 'I know SOMETHING interesting is sure to happen,' she said to herself, 'whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does." Not that long ago, I stumbled across the VOY Blogging Internship and I decided to participate in the entry competition. Every time I write, interesting...

Letters From a Love Child

Published Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Avatar Mariel Alonzo

Time Management

Published Avatar Utsah , student

Avatar student
Utsah

These past weeks, as I was busy with 9 to 5 office work, I realized the importance of time management. Earlier, I had plenty of leisure time. I could postpone my work and still find time to complete it in the future. But today, putting off one task for later means a task left incomplete. It is hard to manage time for tasks that require your attention in the present, let alone for those tasks that were delayed in the past. It is very necessary to be able to manage time. I evaluate...

Let's Talk About Women in the Tech World

Published Avatar maryb

Avatar maryb

Hi! Long time no see, Voices of Youth community J. I am sure you have stayed as amazing as I knew you and I am more than eager to start posting more often again, as I am enjoying the summer holidays. For this post, I want to bring up the subject of gender equality in the tech world again. I have written about it in some other posts of mine, but this one will be concentrated exclusively on the subject and based on my own experience. Firstly, I think it would be quite appropria...

Social Influence

Published Avatar Eya Abidi

Avatar Eya Abidi

Our behaviors as well as way of thinking are tremendously shaped by others; normative rules constructed in our minds denoting how individuals are expected to behave in certain specific situations and perceived by us as standard for appropriate behavior. What comes out of or against the expected is negatively odd and not only unpermitted to be demonstrated publically, but also forbidden to think about within yourself. In a culture awfully detained by “what others think of you” a...

Average 20 Somethings

Published Avatar Lebera

Avatar Lebera

“We urge you to apply in the future”. “The selection process was highly competitive”. If you happen to be familiar with the latter phrases, then my heart goes out to you. I know how you feel because I too have faced the same disheartening and unsettling thing: REJECTION. I do not know about you but my high school experience did not include spending my time conducting energy related research, creating youth platforms, or volunteering in third world countries. Instead, I...

VOY across the world