Refugees in thier own country, the future of Sierre Leone is at risk

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

When the Ebola virus hit my country Sierra Leone, thousands of lives were lost, the country came to a standstill, infrastructure, education, and economy all feeling the impact. Being forced to stay at home for long periods of time led to an increase in the school dropout rate and also increased the numbers of teenage pregnancies. On top of all of this we have been struck by another disaster: flooding. It rained so heavily on Wednesday 16th September 2015 that almost the entire city...

Republicans and the Islam problem

Published no picture Gigi Manukyan , CLU Student

no picture CLU Student
Gigi Manukyan

For the past decade, Islamophobia, has become a popular issue in American media, especially during the recent Republican debates. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has claimed that a big percentage of Syrian refugees could be from the Islamic State. "This could be one of the great military coups of all time if they send them to our country -- young, strong people and they turn out to be ISIS," he told Fox News' Eric Bolling. He promises, if elected president, to deport...

Syria: An eagle eye view on war rotten country

Published no picture Hassan Chattha

no picture Hassan Chattha

Arab Movement(the Arab Spring) originated in Tunisia in December 2010 and quickly took hold in Egypt, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan, initially they were peaceful protests against the governments but they quickly escalated violence probably because of the adamancy of the parent governments to comply with the demands of their people. Peaceful protests too begin in the Syria but the Bashar-al-Asad regime dealt with them with an iron hand and as result Civil wa...

Grasp Knowledge

Published no picture Laiba , Student

Some of us have it all. So, simply, we do not cherish it. It is human nature. However, some of us, who have studied in more than one part of the world, can get a taste of how lucky we are. Surely, the fact must cross your mind. And I can guarantee that you have it all if you have education. If we had the opportunity to get education, nothing- and I literally mean it, nothing can stop us from having it all except ourselves. Before I go off the main subject, I want us to realize th...

No Lost Generation

Published Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Avatar Rodrigo Bustamante

Clamorous gunfire, intoxicating smoke, ubiquitous fear, homeless and stateless – this is the reality of the children of Syria. On December 17, 2010, the Arab Spring erupted in Tunisia, prompting a revolutionary wave that sought to end oppression and foment a movement for peace, democracy, and human rights throughout the Middle East and North Africa. Beginning as protests and civil disobedience, the Arab world imploded, devolving into a series of violent riots and civil wars. The...

Memories of a Migrant Toddler

Published Avatar Unitika Schlawenger , Making a Change.

Avatar Making a Change.
Unitika Schlawenger

dedicated to Aylan Kurdi Daddy said they would now finally go have peace Somewhere where no one else could keep, Him away from the streets, Where he loved to play with his friends. At the end, When mom asked to take another bag, Dad said no, there wasn’t enough space. So he said good-bye, To his toys. The teddy-bear and truck, His little bicycle of luck. And off they were prepared, For a journey to a better place. Daddy said they would sa...

Published no picture Prince Adeyemi Ridwan , Urban and Regional Planning student, federal university of technology, akure. Nigeria.

no picture Urban and Regional Planning student, federal university of technology, akure. Nigeria.
Prince Adeyemi Ridwan

This poem is based on a Yoruba ( An ethnic group from South-western part of Nigeria )culture still widely practiced. The Abobaku is a chief elected from a particular family to live a similar life to the king but must die when the king died. A recent hilarious incident staged when an Abobaku in one of the historical birth place of the Yoruba's took up the gauntlet against destiny when the news broke to him that the King has gone to meet his ancestors. Here we go... ABOBAKU: THE...

Have we already fogetten?

Published no picture Olivia

no picture Olivia

It's the 2nd of October and already social media has gotten dull. I think a majority has forgotten about the refugee crisis. Or is it no longer a priority? What about the global goals? Oh I remember the hype a few days before #UNGA; the streets of Snapchat , twitter, Facebook , tumblr and the rest were buzzing. What ever happened? Was it just for a moment? This just goes to say that we need effective campaigning to get these goals moving. I believe each and everyone has to be i...

Every Day is Teachers Day

Avatar Making a Change.
Unitika Schlawenger

A teacher Has every feature To be respected. Working hard Without regard Of being tired. How then can all the teachers Over the world not be admired? Teaching us, Not only what is in the books, But about everything else, In life hooks. Another parent, Another inspiration, A teacher. To all the teachers in the world, Every day is yours.

VOY across the world