A Gender-Free Beauty Everywhere

Published Avatar Anna , Swarthmore College Undergraduate

Avatar Swarthmore College Undergraduate
Anna

This blog post is a collaboration between Begimai Sataeva and Anna Weber. Gender is a boundless societal construct. At least, that is what we learned when we, the dual writers for this blog post, started writing about our own countries’ definitions of beauty. Anna lives in the United States and Begimai lives in Kyrgyzstan - two places nearly 7,002 miles away or a 12.5 hour plane ride. Yet, our experiences were shockingly similar. We’ve outlined our two stories below so t...

As Others See Us

Published Avatar Jack Liddall BI2016 , Student

Jack Liddall BI2016

Salām! Mera nam Jack hai! It has got to be the best bit about the Voices of Youth blogging internship. Getting the opportunity to meet the other bloggers and getting to know them through their blogs. You also get to know about the different countries from which the bloggers come, and about different cultures. It’s a fascinating journey which leads down many intriguing paths. What is curious is that, despite our diversity, we have quite a lot in common! We all love communic...

4 Things You Learn From Traveling

Published Avatar JuliaYasemin , Student

JuliaYasemin

This blog post is a collaboration between Salam Al-Nukta and Julia Yasemin Kettner. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller,” Ibn Batuta once said, an Arab traveler. How accurate is this? Well, based on real-life experience, it couldn’t be any more true. Travelling is a school and a wealthy experience. While travelling, you learn lessons that you are never taught in regular schools. The excitement of meeting new people and living in a...

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Published Avatar Lightwell , Junior Facilitator, Researcher and Poet. Law Student at the University of South Africa

Avatar Junior Facilitator, Researcher and Poet. Law Student at the University of South Africa
Lightwell

Splat, right in the middle of my face. A plastic bag whose origin I don’t know, whose former use I don’t know, and yet it’s brushing my lips. Only then does it strike me... “Littering is bad!” My city used to be called the cleanest city in Zimbabwe but like the rest, it has succumbed to the decay of pollution. A walk in the city will reveal that the former beautifully paved City of Kings and Queens has changed into something else, especially when it rains. Different cla...

Zika Virus: The Outbreak

Published Avatar Andrew VOY , Social Worker

Avatar Social Worker
Andrew VOY

“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito” - African proverb The Prelude of a Virus Back in 1947, in a region known as the Zika Forest in Uganda, a monkey was found during a yellow fever study, with a disease that would later be named after the region. It wasn’t until 1954 that the first humans fell prey to the disease, and only in 1968 the virus was isolated for the first time for further studies. A...

It's Not the Length of My Skirt

Published Avatar Devonnie Garvey , Voices of Youth Blogger

Avatar Voices of Youth Blogger
Devonnie Garvey

“Well, maybe if you weren’t dressed that way, it wouldn’t have happened.” That sentence stunned me into silence. I was having a conversation with my friend expressing my disdain that I couldn’t even walk to the grocery store without being bombarded by catcalls and distasteful and derogatory sexual comments about me or my body. That was his response. The first thing that sprung into my mind was, what way? I had been wearing a pair of skinny jeans and a sleevele...

Why Are We Still So Afraid Of Feminism?

Published no picture Catherine Clair

no picture Catherine Clair

Feminism. Try using that word openly, and I guarantee you will be received with more than one or two ignorant remarks. Why is that? Perhaps we should take a look at why the word is so negatively viewed. Is it because there are still too many people out there who do not understand the word? For whatever reason, I am going to discuss why this word should be used more often and proudly, and why each and every woman should be proud to call herself a feminist. Feminism is the fight...

Education is a human right

Published Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

Belgium Caroline is sixteen years old. She goes to a school nearby. It doesn’t matter which school she goes to anyway, because every school offers about the same quality education. Her mother sometimes complains that there aren’t any private schools because she would have loved to give her daughter an even better start in life. But Caroline knows that her mother is exaggerating because while her school is far from perfect but the quality the school offers is absolutely fine...

Cut those strings & those invisible chains

Published no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

Where to start? Yes, let's start in those countries where girls are not 'girls'. 'm talking about the way girls are still treated despite all the gender equality movements that are taking place in the world. Are they free? Not at all, from the moment they are born they are merely puppets, other people control their lives and they are held by invisible strings. First and foremost, in some parts of the world, being born a girl is still a sin. When the mother herself takes the baby...

VOY across the world