Is art really useless?

Published no picture salah , Procrastinator

no picture Procrastinator
salah

It's been a long time now but the argument that art is useless, and has no effect on or value in society, still prevails and is passed down through generations and different cultures. Particularly in mine, being an Asian, setting art as a goal on which to build my future is a challenging aspect to discuss amongst the family. Art, in my culture, is regarded merely as a leisurely activity and is almost never given any importance or thought. While this might be a strong argume...

A Woman's Right to Choose

Published no picture Azra H , student

no picture student
Azra H

A Woman's Right to Choose - told from the view of a pelvis If every bone has a story to tell, mine is one of choice; or freedom and slavery, of crimes gone unreported and babies born unto this world. I am the support the backbone leans upon, the balance of the ribs, and the gatekeeper of life. It is in my power who shall pass and who shall not; who may begin their life and who is yet too young. There are escapees, of course, in some women more than others, but there shall always...

Another word for peace..another word for sorry

Published no picture Maya kaddah

no picture Maya kaddah

Terrorist attacks are hitting the world, from Syria to Beirut to France, and it has a name, it is called ISIS. Now every time ISIS attack, some people would immediately go on blaming Muslims around the world. What they don’t know is that ISIS and Islam are completely two different things; Islam means peace whereas ISIS means…well I can’t even get it. Thus, It will always be ISIS vs. Islam, for many reasons take these for example; ISIS believe in killing, and think...

She

Published no picture Tanusree Sen , Software Engineer

no picture Software Engineer
Tanusree Sen

The reason for my existence, the teacher of my utterance; It is ‘She’ my mother who thought me, worthy of her acceptance. Loving ‘Her’ child more than herself. Letting no harm fall on her beloved. Such is the story of the life of that one, ever comforting and all-encompassing living being one gets to know first in their lifetime-Mother. My uncle once told me the story of his pet cat, which stayed with her kittens on the attic of his house. One fateful night fire bro...

Felix is a 20 year-old young man from El Salvador. There, he studies to become a social worker. In this guest blog, Felix is calling on world leaders to put the spotlight on the violence situation happening in his country, and to work with young people to find solutions. Studying at University is the best thing that happened to me. I’m convinced that anyone who studies can get the tools, knowledge and potential to change the world. Living in the world’s murder capital...

Peace Is Our Future; Get Us Involved!

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

I am an energetic twenty-one year old girl from Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia. I am now living in a boarding house managed by a local NGO, Sanggar Anak Akar, which provides free education for underprivileged children and young people like me. Before living in this boarding school, I lived in the slums area of Jakarta that are vulnerable to disasters like flooding. Love reading. Hate fighting. The boarding schools is for poor urban children, and I get access to a free...

Young people are making their voices heard at the World Humanitarian Summit

Published Avatar KateVOY , VOY team member

Avatar VOY team member
KateVOY

Chloe Reynaldo from the Philippines is one of the young people attending the first-ever World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul. On Tuesday 24 May, she will speak at the Special Session on ‘Transforming Humanitarian Action with and for Young People’. To find out more check out this page and follow #ShareHumanity on Twitter. 1. According to you, why should young people care about the World Humanitarian Summit? I believe that any event concerning global welfare should be re...

Girls step up to deal with crises

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

VICKY, 19, FROM EL SALVADOR "Violence exists everywhere in the world, but in my country, we have one of the highest murder rates in the world. Last year 575 women were murdered – 3 women every other day – and just 11% of those cases ended-up in trial. When walking in the streets or even at school, the threat of being raped is omnipresent. The threat of being abused in school is so high that it is a barrier to education. "But I try to be part of the solution by providing wo...

"We are agents of change"

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

My Name is Wantoe. I am 21 years old and I was born in Liberia. My own country, Liberia, endured 15 years of civil conflict and just as we were recovering we became victims of the Ebola pandemic, with over 10,600 cases and 4800 deaths. When the Ministry of Health announced that the Ebola virus had crossed over into the country, I was in a state of denial, it was difficult, every part of the city of Monrovia, was like a civil war. As youth groups, originally working to prevent v...

VOY across the world