No Gay Okay in Russia

Published no picture Gigi Manukyan , CLU Student

no picture CLU Student
Gigi Manukyan

Imagine heterosexuality was a crime. Imagine marriage between a man and a woman was illegal. Imagine a heterosexual couple being beaten and taken to jail for a brief peck on the lips. Now, imagine being gay in Russia, where all of these hypothetical scenarios actually affect the gay community. The LGBT community of Russia is forced to be silenced and marginalized by the Putin legislation. Since 2013, Putin has been passing legislation to make being in gay in Russia extremely di...

Transparency

Published Avatar Liv Brako-Hiapah , Student/ Blogger

Avatar Student/ Blogger
Liv Brako-Hiapah

Transparency. Are young people really changing anything? This is a question I frequently ask myself. I’ve lived in 2 countries and there is a different meaning to what being rich means in each of them. Not to point any fingers but in one of these countries, ‘rich’ children fail to work hard because everything has been handed to them. They don’t have to pass exams or work yet they have cars and some even have their own houses at 18. Parents support this and even bribe...

When Peoples Come Together

Published no picture freemind , Secondary high school student

no picture Secondary high school student
freemind

Mankind moves. It's been like this since the dawning of time. In the modern society in which we live, human migration is still a vivid reality. In this unsteady historic moment, migration has come to take multiple and varied forms. For decades now, modern cities have been developing in an unusual way: people from every country in the world have gathered in the same towns, and the clash between cultures sometimes seems inevitable. But what are the various ways in which culture...

Faith, Not Religion

Published no picture Lam Ngô

no picture Lam Ngô

Saying you believe in God is a no-no right now. Believe me, I made a social experiment out of it. Reactions range from amused condescension “That's sweet" to blatant distaste “Why would you do that to yourself?” But you know what? I was raised by a Buddhist and a Christian, in a Protestant neighbourhood with a mosque four blocks down. And even if I don't fully agree with the idea of religion, I do hold the concept of faith in high regard. My God is not Jesus, or Buddha,...

For the Sake of Education

Published Avatar Farwa Manekia , Dental Student

Avatar Dental Student
Farwa Manekia

You know what’s dangerous? What’s the scariest form of terrorism? Educated people targeting education. They targeted mosques before. They always looked for a mass gathering to attack. Now, it’s the schools, colleges and universities they want to destroy. I see their vision. When I witness reports of prominent university graduates being involved in an attack, it scares me. Why is education targeting education? Such people are enigmatic. What can be the driving force behi...

I Hope This Will Make You Look Away From Your Screen

Published no picture Anjali Akula

no picture Anjali Akula

“The one thing that’s changed everything” That is Apple’s motto on their commercials for the recent release of the iPhone 6S. When you first hear this, it sounds preposterous, but think about it for a second. Mentally revisit the 20th century; how different was life then? Because of the smartphone, the difference in our first-world society is astounding. Taking banal concepts such as communication, reading, listening to music, playing games, keeping track of everyday...

Youths and Climate Change Adaptation

Published no picture Nancy Saili

no picture Nancy Saili

Climate change is affecting all nations across the globe. It might be a little too late to avoid some irreversible changes in the climate but adaption is one thing we cannot run away from. We all must learn to manage the risks that have arisen as a result of shifts in climate. Adaptation generally means investing in basic infrastructure and programs to protect us against the effects of climate change. Meet one of Zambia's youths taking a lead in adaptation. He is young, passi...

Violence in Schools: Causes and Solutions

Published Avatar Ezinne Enyinnaya

Avatar Ezinne Enyinnaya

The World Health Organization defines violence as ‘’the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment or deprivation’’. From this definition, school violence could be described to be physical attacks between students or by students on school staff, which could occur on the...

Children who aren't allowed to be children

Published no picture Mohammed Khader , Student

Mohammed Khader

Children who are not allowed to be children refers to those who are forced to live in conflict-stricken regions, and as a result are unable to live normal lives as children. Along with conflict, it refers to children around the world who are marginalized and oppressed due to social factors that have long divided society. This will become a series of articles that will give insight on children from around the world analyzing the effects of conflict on their specific society. In ea...

VOY across the world