Published by MischaVOY

RSS Feed Now Available on Voices of Youth

Dear VOY community, We have the pleasure to announce that Voices of Youth now offers an RSS fe...

Somebody Has to Say It Part 1: Parenting

Published Avatar Miss, Rumby

Avatar Miss
Rumby

In my first post, I mentioned that I watch quite a number of series on YouTube. Well, I think I underplayed that statement. I spend more time watching YouTube videos than I spend eating, and considering that I love food, that is a LOT of time. YouTube has now gotten to the point of feeling so familiar with me that it even suggests videos for me to watch. I have to confess: I always end up liking those videos. So, just this past weekend during my daily YouTube surf, it recommended a...

Everyone Must Rise for Education.

Published Avatar Mr, Gerald

Avatar Mr
Gerald

I came across the first marking period mathematics exam of a high school student in Liberia. This student didn’t answer any question and scored zero on the exam. A friend posted the picture of the test paper on Facebook with a caption “People are crying for jobs and they are scoring zero on a math exam. See a 12th grader’s exam paper.” Some comments that followed were: “Dull student!”, “This student can’t even spell “April”, “He who fails to plan, plans to fai...

Nigeria's 2015 Elections - History Made, Lessons Learnt

Published Avatar Olufemi Olubodun

Avatar Olufemi Olubodun

The just concluded 2015 general election is one that Nigerians will not forget in a hurry. Preceding the elections were vehement threats by politicians, political parties and interest groups. It was on this premise that many prophets of doom predicted that the 2015 elections will plunge the country into severe anarchy that will threaten, if not destroy her unity. Expectations were that the country would burn but somehow, we have managed to form a stronger bond. Nigerians have a...

The Future is for us to see!

Published Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

"When a door is closed, another one is opened for us elsewhere." All you have to do is to embrace the world outside and to look carefully through the open windows and seize all the opportunities and fell every moment. Failure doesn't mean you are losing but rather, that you are human; what makes you stronger is mistakes and falling once or even twice cannot bring you down. The moment you hesitate you lose, so instead of spoiling your life by going through useless and meanin...

#WorldIssuesAreTheNewBlack

Published Avatar Mr., Ala Oueslati

Avatar Mr.
Ala Oueslati

We develop ideas, express opinions and react very differently as we perceive information given by the media, our peers, or enforced by our societies. What’s even more incredible is that these ideas can, in fact, shape our personalities, determine our values, encourage us to produce more misconceptions and judge everything around us. #BringBackOurGirls is a slogan that has been in circulation for over a year by activists, bloggers and online communities all over the world. Thi...

Honesty is a Game of Jenga

Published Avatar Miss, Noor Samee

Avatar Miss
Noor Samee

I sit in my grandmother’s sunroom in a game of Jenga with my myriad cousins. We begin by building a tower of wooden blocks, sharing the structure’s weight to keep it upright and stable. Together, the blocks strengthen the structure and found the tower. My turn arrives. I poke the structure here and there, searching for the perfect block to slip out, and trying to remove as many blocks as possible without causing the structure's collapse. I pick out a block and anxiously wat...

What I Learnt This Week

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

Being lonely is different than being alone. A couple of weeks ago I decided to be spontaneous, and booked a solo two week trip to London, UK from Canada. I am slightly, okay really, obsessed with the British royal family and wanted to be in London for the birth of the second royal baby. My job contract had just ended and I was being bogged down with the daunting task of deciding what was next. I have been in London for over a week now and have loved every second of it. I have spent the past 10...

Can Kermit the Frog Help Change the Future?

Published Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology, David Molina Shvidchenco

Avatar Biotechnology student at Costa Rica Institute of Technology
David Molina Shvidchenco

Last week, a story about the discovery of a new frog species made it to the news. It is beautiful and reminds me of Kermit The Frog from The Muppets. It is known as a “glass frog” – it almost has no pigmentation on his skin, so you can even see through it and take a look at its organs. Good thing that you can not see through Kermit’s skin or some kid’s childhood would have been ruined. I don’t know about you, but I think this is pretty cool! It is not about a r...

Naomi Ferguson (Dr Naomi Adeline) Occupation Medical Officer (Doctor) How are you using your profession to help students at large? Outside working hours, I have been doing activities to promote individual responsibility for one’s own health and also increasing health literacy of youth and of the whole community in general. What means have you used to achieve this? In September 2014, with the help of colleagues and the Health of Our Nation...

VOY across the world