Websites warfare in divided Angola

Published no picture Writer, Darden

no picture Writer
Darden

Rich in oil, diamonds and natural resources, the South West African country of Angola is also steeped in political division and mistrust. A large part of the political rift afflicting the former Portuguese colony can be attributed to a bitter and protracted civil war which lasted almost 27 years. Starting in 1975, the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) and the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) battled each other for supremacy, with...

Youth (un)employment

Published Avatar student, Utsah

Avatar student
Utsah

A child is born and raised to face the world. His early years are filled with colors and happily ever afters. But as his days go beyond the fairy tales, he comes to witness the harsh realities of life. Everyone is not a prince and love cannot always save life. Teenage is the phase where people tend to live their fairy tales to the fullest because at the end awaits reality. Once the ‘teen’ says goodbye, the realization that we need to be someone kicks in. That is when we sta...

It’s Time to Talk: Periods

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

I am coming to you live from…my bathroom. Because this week, I want to talk about periods. Yep, I said it. Period. Menstruation. Mother Nature’s monthly gift. Aunt Flo. That time of the month. I want to talk about the shame we feel having to buy incredibly expensive products every month in order to keep ourselves “clean” down there. Ladies you know the feeling, the embarrassment we feel putting a box of tampons or pads (or both) up on the register, seemingly proclaimi...

Of Islam, Mohammed and Sabera Khala

Published Avatar Bhavana

Avatar Bhavana

My mother often said, "God can't change your diapers so he made parents. And some parents need help, so he made Ayahs!". The ayah (children's nurse) who practically raised me, I knew her as Sabera Khala. I remember watching her through that half closed door. Every day at five she tied her hijab (scarf covering the head and neck) kneeled on that frayed old mat. Her white saree in folds and her hands held up in prayer. She humoured me sometimes when I decided to tie a scarf around my head a...

Rebuilding Education After Ebola

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Posted by Kamanda, Global Youth Advisory Panel Ambassador, Sierra Leone 18 May 2015: After a long monotonous nine months without attending school, children were finally able to go back when schools reopened in Sierra Leone on 14 March, 2015. Many children were happy to be back to school but there were some who did not go back. Some parents are saying they will not send their children to school any longer because Ebola is still in our environment. Many have no way to generate in...

Economics and its relevance

Published no picture Raymond Opoku

no picture Raymond Opoku

A famous British economist Alfred Marshall wrote: “Economics is the study of mankind in the ordinary business life”. You will find that an economics major prepares you for many careers, because it offers a clear, concise and rigorous way of thinking about the ordinary business life. Job recruiters and graduate admissions committees are favorably inclined towards majors. In choosing a major, you should consider several important and related questions. First, what profession(s)...

Social Norms: A Thought Splurge

Published Avatar Miss, Noor Samee

Avatar Miss
Noor Samee

Like most children, I spent my childhood as a socratic conformist. I questioned social norms, but internalized society’s ageist degradation and made no actions against the norms. I remember challenging every post-sneeze, “Bless you”, and questioning “good”’s involuntary validation for “how are you?”. I remember envying my brother’s action figures’ infinitely flexible limb sockets, and wondering why every song was about love. As I grew older, and gained confi...

What Light Can Teach Us

Published no picture Pia Fleig

no picture Pia Fleig

Imagine you are in a spacecraft, you know, one of those fancy white ones with triangular shaped wings and tinted windows. You are flying high above the earth and probably have just brewed your coffee. It tastes pretty different since your taste buds have changed in outer space. When you accidently let go off it, the cup turns faster than the brownish creamy fluid in it, but you can catch it easily. You have a day ahead that will be filled with experiments, but for now you sit w...

Humanitarian Disaster in Yemen

Published no picture Student at University of California, Los Angeles, Sadegh Atlasi

no picture Student at University of California, Los Angeles
Sadegh Atlasi

There are many conflicts and problems occurring around the world on a daily basis, which require our attention. The disastrous humanitarian situation in Yemen is among the problems that humanity is facing. There is a very destructive and unpleasant situation happening in Yemen, where civilians are stuck in the country without any organized help or support. The bombardment of Yemen by Saudi Arabia for the purpose of limiting the Houthi rebels has cost many lives. Yemen is the po...

VOY across the world