"Time to make history!"

Published no picture Idil Kına

no picture Idil Kına

"3...2...1...", "This is it, time to make history!". These were the lines that were said by the characters of the cartoon "Loud House" as Nickelodeon introduced its first married gay couple. An introduction more valid than that couldn't be made. Before I tell why, let me describe the scene a little bit. It is a scene which a gay and bi-racial couple, Howard and Harold McBride, drop off their son Clyde at a slumber party. So they are not just a same-sex couple, they are also multi...

Turn Up the Heat

Published Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

Race is only a problem if you make it one. Don’t ever, ever, try to say anything otherwise. I was once told that cold is just the absence of heat, and similarly, hate and violence works the same way. You are born without bias, carefree and innocent. Prejudice only comes through your lifetime of experience. Hate is just the absence of love, thus violence is absence of peace. Without the heat turned up, the cold will creep into our homes and our lives. Some of us might disp...

My Duke of Edinburgh Award: adventurous expedition

Published no picture Yeshna

no picture Yeshna

Despite being blistered and achy, I can now officially announce that I have completed my Duke of Edinburgh expedition and I'm so happy I did it! For those who are not familiar with DOfE, The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is available to all 14–25 year old, regardless of their background. The Award is comprised of three levels, each progressively more challenging. Participants are required to complete four sections at each level: Service, Skill, Physical Recreation and...

To children of the war

Published Avatar Just my two c€nts , Medical student

Avatar Medical student
Just my two c€nts

For you with my heart I pray I pray for you to turn stronger each day I wish borders wouldn't matter to anyone anymore And the world to welcome all souls alone and sore I hope you'll open your hearts & let go of all fear Cause me and billions are there for you here I know that I'm neither your kith nor kin I'm just someone wishing your faith to be restored in humanity in this turmoil's din I'm aware it's too much to ask since I've never been in your shoes...

Never stop dreaming: an inspiring example

Published Avatar Artemis B.

Avatar Artemis B.

There are different times when I wrote in different posts that we should never stop dreaming, even when the circumstances around us make us think otherwise. It is something that I really believe. There were times, though, when I was thinking that this was not really possible for me. But then changed. Thursday, 18 February 2016: Padelis Padelidis, ''the guy with the guitar'' was killed in a car accident at age 32.The shock was huge for everyone. It’s not just that I like his son...

Boldness and Irony - "Under One Roof"

Published Avatar Harkirat Bhullar , Global Citizen

Avatar Global Citizen
Harkirat Bhullar

Would you turn down a million dollars for a tiny little house? Well, Edith Macefield did. Not only did she turn down an offer for tons of money from a construction company wanting to build a mall on her land, she left the house to the general manager of the construction project in her will. Barry Martin, the manager of that project explains how his responsibility for getting the woman to leave her house, eventually led him to become a caregiver, friend and more to the elderly w...

While You Were Away

Published no picture Limo Yoni , Student

Limo Yoni

Papa while you were away, I learnt to sit, to crawl and to walk, At ten months I halted my midnight cries, At two and a half is when I first asked for you. Papa while you were away, And I turned ten and grew taller, And then mother’s health got worse, We longed & yearned to see you then. Papa while you were away, I graduated as a professional doctor, But I had no one to celebrate with, For mother was gone and you remained unheard. Papa while...

The MUN Way Forward

Published Avatar Harsh Mahaseth , Student

Harsh Mahaseth

Model United Nations (MUNs) is a simulation of the United Nations which enables the participating youth, called delegates, to develop their leadership skills. Furthermore, they are provided with the opportunity to enhance their writing, researching, deliberating and negotiating skills in a safe and structured environment. Through discussions and negotiations delegates learn to appreciate the roles played by actual delegates working every day to figure out a solution to persistent i...

I want to stop wearing blood

Published Avatar Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo , Student - Political Science

Avatar Student - Political Science
Maria Jimena Jurado Giraldo

Forever 21. H&M. Mango. United Colors of Benetton. Nike. You name it and I’ll bet you there has been a story in the news linking them to sweatshops or terrible working conditions. These shops, however, are just the final stage in the pyramid behind the garment industry. Before the clothes even reach these stores, manufacturers have to design the clothes. They then go and hire sewing contractors (98% who are located abroad) to make the clothing. The contractors have to...

VOY across the world