Treating Refugees as the Problem Is the Problem

Published Avatar Gabriela Shapazian , Student

Gabriela Shapazian

Governments are refusing to let refugees in their countries because they believe that those who are running away from wars, terrorism, poverty, hunger etc represent a threat to the society. People are protesting against this decision and I saw the phrase that I chose to use as the headline in many of these protests, besides being a common phrase used by activists who are doing everything in their power to help those who need so much for someone to give them a chance. I’m a 16...

Published Avatar Hannah

Avatar Hannah

I got a call this morning. It was from my daughter. She asked if it was possible to pick up my sixteen year old grandson from school. The busses did not drive that day. Since I had nothing to do, I said I’d pick him up. So here I am waiting. Hang on, I think he’s here. Ah yes I already see him. As my grandson opens the door from the car, he’s already nagging about the awfully boring day at school. He has that from me, I also talk too much. I focus on what he says now. ‘We h...

The Actions of Today Make the History of Tomorrow

Published no picture Daanial Chaudhry

no picture Daanial Chaudhry

What do we learn at school? Amongst other things we learn of Hitler, the Nazi's and the persecution of Jews. We come to a conclusion, that Hitler is guilty. A murderer. Two words spring to mind. “Never Again”. In light of the Paris attacks, there has been much debate, as to whether, military action should be taken in Syria. US presidential hopeful, Donald Trump, has suggested, that all Muslims have an ID badge; Hitler during the Holocaust made Jews wear the Star of...

I Stand With Islam

Published Avatar Reid T.

Avatar Reid T.

I saw the most inhumane, sickening, and appalling social media post about a week ago, and I took the time to save the image so that all of you may see this mindless hatred at your leisure. Come on, take a good look at it, what does that make you feel? I feel disgusted. Personally, I know several Muslims myself, and they are the nicest people you would ever want to meet, kind, respectful, and considerate, great people, yet we have fools like the person who posted this who walk h...

Is Canada a Racist Country?

Published no picture Hikmat

no picture Hikmat

Is Canada a Racist Country? The short answer is, well, yes. There are numerous examples of racism and discrimination in Canada throughout that course of history and even today. Of course that doesn’t mean we’re all horrible people here in The True North. Instead, it simply means racism existed and still does exist in Canada, and ignoring it is no way to go about solving it. Historically, Canada’s hands are not clean. Due to Canada’s role in the trans-Atlantic slave tr...

Violence against women (Poem)

Published Avatar priya verma

Avatar priya verma

What constitute violence against women The way forward post an unmitigated national cry over the gruesome tragedy that hit the heart of nation the crisis of femininity and masculinity has been more apparent what implications and how do we hear it a black dot icon outlined as a sign of protest we must figure out a way forward to save a better law women equality and change of man mind set towards femanity to treat them...

Poverty: Is It Destiny?

Published no picture miharisoa , pharmacist student

no picture pharmacist student

For this year, my country was ranked the tenth poorest country in the world. I live in Madagascar, a beautiful island in the Indian Ocean. Many called it the country of “mora mora”. That means that everything there goes smoothly. Tourists passing here would say that we are easy going. They see Malagasy people smiling brightly even if we are in deep poverty. It’s like we don’t care about our situation. However, are these islanders really happy or just hopeless? It is sai...

Help us achieve peace

Published no picture VFV , Student

I live in a country full of pain I see death every day and regardless they call it the way to peace. The world admires us because we’re in the middle of the treaty of peace but how can it be? If we don’t even admire ourselves. It makes no sense at all that what they see we don’t see and vice versa. Being in a country that has so little history is hard, we don’t appreciate what we have or are, we have so many problems with our identity, we don’t love our country or our c...

Published Avatar Wabai Yvonne Wairimu , student

Avatar student
Wabai Yvonne Wairimu

I remember the day I enrolled in high school, I was nervous. Almost all my family members came to see me before I went off. I had done them all proud, being accepted to one of the most prestigious high schools in Kenya. On that day I could eat anything I wanted at the family restaurant, free of charge. I got various amounts of money from different people, all well-wishers, to go into my pockets. I had more than what I needed - no complaints there. At about 2 o’clock, we drove...

VOY across the world