Published by MischaVOY

VOY Blogging Internships - Apply Now!

We're happy to announce that applications for the next round of VOY Blogging Internships are now o...

My Interpretation of Peace

Published no picture Emman Tarar , Just an ordinary 15 year old

no picture Just an ordinary 15 year old
Emman Tarar

People generally define peace as a period without war. Some say it means emotional calm, goodwill and harmony. However, if you're a Pakistani, the Western world has made a separate dictionary for you. For us, peace is an alien phenomenon. One can only be emotionally calm if one knows that all of their loved ones are safe at home i.e safe from being among suicide bombers. Whereas signing a peace treaty and then violating it by open fire at LOC is considered to be a gesture of goodwi...

Protests in Lebanon and the MENA Region's Future

Published no picture GHEBOULI Zinelabidine

no picture GHEBOULI Zinelabidine

It’s always up to the people to change their country’s situation, it’s always up to these generations to make the change they want to see. That’s what Lebanese young people have understood, that’s what this new generation here in Lebanon has in mind. As an activist for human rights, and since I am here in Lebanon right now; I went to the protest that took place near Nejmeh square yesterday. I went to see how things go, and I was impressed by the consciousness, which I wil...

Raise Your Voice for Renewable Energy

Published no picture PoonamVOY

no picture PoonamVOY

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.” by Mahatma Gandhi has become more and more important these days as the world is constantly using (in fact constantly misusing) the world resources. As the agenda of climate change is becoming more & more serious day by day, the whole world is being interested towards the renewable energy as the cost effective development solution. An international development organization OXFAM released a report arguin...

Arfa Karim - Inspiring Girl from Pakistan

Published Avatar Rehman Siddiq , Social Activist and Entrepreneur

Avatar Social Activist and Entrepreneur
Rehman Siddiq

The International Day of the Girl is round the corner, so I thought of sharing a story of an inspiring young Pakistani girl. No, I am not taking about Malala, but she is as inspiring as her but unfortunately not known by the rest of the world. This is the story of Arfa Karim Randhawa, a girl born in Faisalabad, Pakistan in 1995. She was only 5 years old when she first saw a computer in her school. Fascinated by it, she demanded her father, who used to work in United Nations Peace...

Today, the 9th of October 2015, the Tunisian national dialogue quartet was given the Nobel Peace Prize by the Norwegian Nobel committee. It is a surprising but welcomed prize that I hope will enrich Tunisia’s newfound democracy. The Arab spring has carried a typhoon that has stormed the Arab region, which witnessed revolutions, by conflicts. Although the Tunisia’s newfound democracy was in grave danger especially within the rule of the right wing party “Ennahdha”, Tunisia...

The Flowers of Damascus

Published Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

Across borders and seven seas there was a nation of love. A faraway land full of magic and enchanted minds; in there we eventually lived in peace. In hundred years through the light I can see their smiling faces; innocent gazes embracing the stars and small hands reaching to the dark sky. The sound of the waves is filling the space around them. Running away from hell they chose to dive the great blue. Their dreams flee the bombs and clouded the sky of the north. Fate is unpredi...

Is Pakistan a terrorist country?

Published Avatar ZeynebChughtai , Student

The word terrorism is defined as “the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence”. There are three perspectives of terrorism: terrorist’s, victim’s and public’s. Terrorists would gladly accept the view that “one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter”. Terrorists never accept that they are doing wrong thing forbidden by the religion they practice “Islam”. They think that they are fighting for what they believe in and to attain their goal. Even the re...

GOP's Islamophobia Problem

The republican Party, commonly known as Grand Old Party (GOP) is one of the major political party in United States. GOP was founded in Northern states in 1854 and Abraham Lincoln was the first Republican U.S. President. The Republican Party has a problem with Muslims. American Muslims are the only minorities which the Republican Party hardly welcomes. A recent Gallop survey found that 89% of the Republican Party is white, while others are minorities. I don't believe that most membe...

Refugees in thier own country, the future of Sierre Leone is at risk

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

When the Ebola virus hit my country Sierra Leone, thousands of lives were lost, the country came to a standstill, infrastructure, education, and economy all feeling the impact. Being forced to stay at home for long periods of time led to an increase in the school dropout rate and also increased the numbers of teenage pregnancies. On top of all of this we have been struck by another disaster: flooding. It rained so heavily on Wednesday 16th September 2015 that almost the entire city...

VOY across the world