A Young Book Review

Published Avatar Ms, Itumeleng Mphure

Avatar Ms
Itumeleng Mphure

In 2014 I made a decision to only read books written by African authors. The decision came about when I read two books. The first is "People of The Dew" which is about Africa's richest tribe, the “Royal Bafokeng Nation”, who are a Setswana tribe from Rustenburg, South Africa. The book is a historic account of the tribe dating back from the 1700s to the 2000s. The Bafokeng tribe is the richest tribe because their land is on South Africa's platinum belt. The tribe literally posit...

10 Lessons I Learned from Amy Poehler's "Yes Please"

Published Avatar Courtney Young

Avatar Courtney Young

Amy Poehler is one badass woman. She is a comedian and actress, best known for her time on Saturday Night Live and as the lead in Parks and Recreation. She is also a writer, director, producer, mother and a woman dedicated to making young girls’ lives a little bit better. This week I finally got my hands on her new memoir/autobiography “Yes Please.” These are the top 10 pieces of advice I got from Amy’s FANTASTIC accounts of her life. On Life: 1. Sleep helps you...

A Letter to Social Media Abusers

Published Avatar Mr, Gerald

Avatar Mr
Gerald

Dear Friends, Hope this letter meets you healthy and happy. I am inspired to write today about our misuse of social media, which I am not happy about. Some will agree with me and some won’t. But it’s normal to have disagreement sometimes in life. However, I hope you take these words in good faith and not as the beginning of a war. I created a Facebook account in July 2009. That day was the first time I had chatted with a cousin who I had never met or spoken with. She wa...

HEART BEAT FOR MY ENVIRONMENT...FEAR NOT.

Published no picture Cadmus Atake-E

no picture Cadmus Atake-E

I hear crying and wailing somewhere in the heart of the northern part of Nigeria.... A place where death has it sting wrapped up in the clothes of the people they die of bombs, Girls are kidnapped yet no hope of freedom insight A land of fury were young men die from the sting of terrorism in the hands of Boko Haram... A region whose prosperity is beyond measures yet wallow in abject poverty...hunger, homelessness, beggars are all we see around us... I see the Amajiris...

Drifting Life at a Tip of a Bridge.

Published no picture Tharindu Dhanusha Fernando

no picture Tharindu Dhanusha Fernando

Life runs along a narrow bridge. One side is beaming with prosperity, wealth and happiness, but the other side suffers from poverty, destitution and grievance. Every human being wants to pick the first side but it is inevitable to avoid the latter. Sometimes life drifts between two sides as the bridge swings. However life ends when the connection of the bridge ruptures. Each of these categories resembles their own identity. They have inherent advantages as well as disadvantages i...

Protect the future of our society

Published Avatar Plan International

Avatar Plan International

Matar, 20, from Dakar, Senegal is a member of Plan’s Global Voice for Change project, which supports young people around the world to connect, learn and advocate together on the issues important to them. In April I took part in film production and social media training organised by Plan. The training had two purposes – to teach us now to interview, use a camera, put together a film and then promote the film on social media. To make the training more focused we were given a...

I am a woman and when I think, I speak

Published Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

Avatar Imen Al-Nighaoui

They say "walk a mile in her shoes and you will be able to understand her" but actually it takes more than a heel to understand a woman. All human beings are subject to hardships but as a matter of fact, we don't suffer the same way. I have always supported humanity as whole and I have never seen the gender case as something different but rather I considered it as a human rights issue. But when some of us insist on dividing the world upon a gender map, I eventually started to que...

Nancy, 19, from Moyamba, Sierra Leone is a member of Plan’s Youth Advisory Panel As part of Plan’s Project, interviewing Millennium Children about School Related Gender Base Violence (SRGBV), I discovered that this is a prevailing issue affecting girls’ education and their lives in general in Sierra Leone. The perpetrators are mostly male teachers. According to young people in Moyamba, “Hardly a day passes without hearing about sexual violence including rape, sexual pen...

Marching Against Xenophobia

Published no picture Children's Radio Foundation

no picture Children's Radio Foundation

CRF Youth Reporters from Alex FM in Gauteng joined thousands of protesters who turned out on the streets of Johannesburg to say NO to xenophobia. They interviewed a few people in the crowd, getting their views on the causes of this current scourge in South Africa.

VOY across the world