Climate Change From the Other Angle

Rebecca Obeng-Kyereh

Intense forest fires in one part of the world at the same time that some areas are struggling under floods. The rains sometimes delay and when they come, many people start praying in the rhyme – rain, rain go away. Climate change has become a big problem for our world. Natural disasters are becoming a daily affair and their intensity is worrying. Women and girls in several areas are affected most.

As part of gender roles, women and girls mostly go out for water. Whether rural or urban, it is so common to find women and girls moving around in search of water. This is because even though sensitization is gradually changing the situation in some places, women and girls are mainly those who handle the house chores. These include cooking, cleaning and washing. Naturally, because of the menstrual cycle too, it is important to note that lack of water is a real challenge for mostly women and girls. Climate change affects regular water supply and we can help in our own small ways.

This brings into focus, the theme for International Women’s Day 2022 – EQUALITY TODAY FOR SUSTAINABLE TOMORROW. We should act with girls in mind. This helps equality. Sustainability also means acting in a way that takes the future into consideration. This is why our action on climate change and what causes it deserves urgent attention. From our homes to the school and communities,-  we can act.

One area we should look at is waste management. Re-use of items is better than disposing of items and even burning them. Some of these items containing plastic when burnt are dangerous to health and give out gases that worsen climate change.

Also, women and girls should be part of the decision-making process. They can work with their male counterparts to find effective solutions in a win-win manner. Every little decision in our consumption, home management and community protection of water bodies that engages all, helps us to make progress in saving our environment. We can halt and reverse climate change to help women and girls and humanity as well.

BIO: Rebecca Obeng-Kyereh is a junior presenter on Curious Minds youth radio programme and a strong advocate for children’s and youth’s rights in Ghana. She started her advocacy work with Curious Minds at a very early age and has already engaged in numerous advocacy initiatives such as Ghana’s Child and Family Welfare Policy, the Nets-Up campaign for effective use of insecticide treated nets, and prevention of child labour and trafficking.