Environment

Young women reflect on climate change

Climate change affects everyone, but how are its impacts viewed by young women in Egypt, Sudan, Jordan and Yemen?

Zohra, Yasmeen, Tina and Mona share experiences from their own communities and activism, as part of the Karama network of “Wa’ed” girl climate champions and the UNICEF Technical Cohort of Girl Leaders for Climate Change.

My journey through climate change and gender equality in Jordan, by Mona

"My goal is to inspire young people, especially young women, to become pioneers in social change and environmental justice. I emphasize gender equality and the dismantling of gender stereotypes, aspiring to create a brighter future for all."

Mona talking to people.

Diving deep into climate change: what I've learned and why YOU should care!, by Yasmeen

"Climate change isn't just melting ice caps—it's bringing a storm of pesky insects to his crops. And you know what's even more tragic? The parched land is due to the lack of water there. He's had to resort to pesticides to save his crops, but that has its own set of environmental issues."

Green crops.

My Journey to Climate Advocacy: From Yemen with Passion, by Tasneem

"Climate change isn’t some abstract idea for us. It’s real. Just the other day, a heavy downpour led to a landslide near my place. People’s lives turned upside down in an instant – homes demolished; jobs lost. Seeing this firsthand? Heart-wrenching."

Climate justice now reads a placard at a protest.

Facing the Floods: Zohra’s Sudan Chronicles, by Zohra

"Flooding isn't new to us, but this... it was something we hadn’t seen for decades. Over 15,000 homes were washed away. But it’s not just about bricks and mortar. For many girls, this disaster meant a pause in education, and sadly, a heightened risk of early marriages and facing violence at home."

water

An Upper Egyptian Tale, by Tina

"We wanted to do more than just catch people's attention. We wanted to change our mindsets. So, we brainstormed and launched "Us and Climate Change." The plan was to equip teachers to be climate mentors, giving them the low-down on the climate crisis so they can inspire the next gen."

A green field in front of mountains in Upper Egypt.
Topic