Racism, the real global pandemic

Racism. It stops with you and me

In the past days, George Floyd has dominated the news. I do not think that I need to go on about who George Floyd was because, regardless of his identity, what matters is that

George Floyd was a son

George Floyd was a brother

George Floyd was a husband

George Floyd was a father

And more than anything, George Floyd was like me and you, a man hoping for a decent life for him and his family. I do not know the man to judge or take sides but one thing I am sure of is that no one deserves to be treated in the same manner. No one deserves to die in such a horrible way.

We currently live in the 21st century in which we have made tons of achievements. As Martin Luther King Jr. said, we have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.

George Floyd’s last words were I cannot breathe. But, the truth is that it is we who cannot breathe amid all the ongoing hatred and racism. It is devastating to see that many people survive the global pandemic (Covid-19) for their lives to end by another human. Hence, it is important to end this evil cycle before it puts an end to us.

On 28 August 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. delivered a speech. In the speech, he shared with us that he dreams for his four little children to live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. It has been 20740 days since his speech.  Martin Luther King has passed away. His children have grown up giving birth to his grandchildren. Yet, to this day his dream never came true. To our day people get bullied and killed for their color, race, and religion. To our day, people get bullied and killed for factors they never get to choose. This leads to nothing but more discrimination, more hatred, and more violence and killing.

Today, Coronavirus is not the only pandemic. Racism and hatred are too. For a peaceful future, we must vaccinate ourselves and our children from every sort of hatred and racism. At times when you feel otherwise, place your hand over your chest. What you would feel is a beat. A beat that is similar in every human being. A beat that implies nothing but that we are all similar in humanity regardless of every other factor.

Remember, anti-racism is not only about black vs white, it is about humanity vs racism and hatred. 

Global